Tuesday, June 07, 2005

The Who

I am a huge Who fan. I have always stood up for the band and tried to explain their absolute awesomeness to my friends. In case you don't know the Who, they have written some of the greatest rock songs ever. The only other band to really rival them in the 70s was probably Led Zeppelin...and, between the two, I'd take the Who. Here's a quick list of some of their greatest songs: My Generation, Happy Jack, I Can See for Miles, Pinball Wizard, Behind Blue Eyes, Won't Get Fooled Again, Squeeze Box...the list goes on and on. Some great tunes...some of my favorite.

With all that said, I'm about sick of hearing Who songs on commercials. After 15 minutes of watching TV, I see a Zantax add featuring a Who song...a Coke commercial belting out I'm Free or a Hummer ad playing Happy Jack. I understand the Who has earned the right to make some money off their music...but they have approached the point of total sellouts. Maybe it's only fitting that in 1967 they made an album called "The Who Sell Out"... it just took 38 or so years for them to really do it.

The Who will remain one of my favorite groups of all time...and their contributions to music history are immeasurable. I just wish someone would stand up and remind Pete Townsend of who he was...and I hope that the next time I here Squeeze Box, it won't be in an accordian commercial.

No comments: