Sunday, June 12, 2005

Don't Phunk with My Heart

Okay...Black Eyed Peas song "Don't Phunk with My Heart" is the winner of the I Hear that Stupid Song and Can't Get It Out of My Head" Award for Summer 2005.

I'm not sure what it is about this song that makes it just stick...but I just can't get it to go away. It has a staying power that most songs don't have...it's the Ice, Ice Baby of 2005. Stop, Collaborate and Listen...

It has a good beat adding to the "can't forget it factor" but, maybe most impressive is the lyrics:

Why you so insecure
When you got passion and love here
Ya always thinkin I'm a cheater
I'm up and gonna leave ya for another senorita
You forgot that I need ya
You must of caught amnesia
That's why you don't believe her

Amazing. They rhymed insecure with here. That's impression in and of itself...but they take it up a notch by rhyming cheater with senorita. I am blown away. I'm sure another song will come along that has the same staying power later this summer...but nothing that contains the thought and feeling of Phunk. I guess it could be worse, at least I don't hum Gwen Stafani's "Hollaback Girl" all day. The question does remain:

Will it ever stop? Yo -- I don't know
Turn off the lights and I'll glow
To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal
Light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.

No comments: