Monday, June 20, 2005

Pittsburgh Pirates

I am a Pittsburgh Pirates fan. There, I said it. It's hard to say sometimes...but, there it is. It's out in the open now...you all know it. Not just a fan...I love the Pirates. Have for a long time now. I've seen a lot of Pirates come...a lot of Pirates go. An all-star lineup of Pirates are everyday names in baseball, like Stargell, Mazeroski, Wagner and Clemente. What about Bonds and Tekulve...Van Slyke and Kendall.

But, the fate that has befallen the Pirates lately make it hard. Records of 58-86, 62-100 and 69-93 are typical since that last winning season, 1992. Ah, 1992...so close to the World Series only to blow it to the hated Braves. Since then, a free fall. It's been almost unbearable for a team that has 5 national championships. But none since 1979.

Everything was supposed to improve when PNC Park opened in 2001...and though it is a beautful facility, the teams remain the same. For a moment...for a brief moment, I thought something good was going to happen. Tampa Bay was in town and the Pirates had won 5 of the last 6 games. They were 30-30 and, with a win, would have a winning record this late in the season. It would be quite an accomplishment for this organization. Instead, they lost 5-7 and have lost 6 of their last 7 games. Typical Pittsburgh...

Anyway, I'm still a Pirates fan and I won't be ashamed...but I might be a little disappointed.

No comments: