Sunday, June 19, 2005

Final Phoenix Wrap-up

Phoenix is a nice area. Despite the 100+ degree days, I liked the weather. I'm not saying "it's a different kind of heat" or anything, but it wasn't as bad as 90 degrees days typically are here. It was a welcome change from the cold car and the cold classroom I spent so much time in.

Accomodations were okay...Courtyard Marriott was adequate. Overall, it's a decent hotel...no major frills or anything...but the price was excellent. Outside pool and whirlpool were clean and well-kept. The exercise room was small and the rooms were small but, once again, more than adequate. The staff was friendly and helpful.

Phoenix, Tempe, Mesa, Gilbert, etc., it a big place. There's a lot of things to see but it's not easy to find anything to do. We spent a lot of time looking for those local restaurants or something but could never find anything. Just major chains everywhere it seemed. Downtown Phoenix is dead at night and it looks like most people head to Mesa or Tempe.

If I were going back to Arizona for recreation, I think I would go north of Phoenix and stay in Flagstaff. Much milder weather and you're within driving range of the Grand Canyon and about 3 hours out of Phoenix if you want to visit it. I would have liked to have seen a Diamondbacks game if they were in town but missed out on that. There seemed to be a lot of culture in and around town but you have to search for it.

Overall, it was a nice trip and I had fun. I would love to go back to Arizona for 4-5 days just to travel it sometime. It's a nice area and is worth the trip.

No comments: