Wednesday, June 22, 2005

Soylent Green is PEOPLE!!!

Well, I watched AFI's top 100 movie quotes last night. Some of them I liked, some I didn't...like "I'm king of the world" certainly wouldn't have made my top 100 list. And, while "May the force be with you" is memorable, I'm not sure it belongs in the number 8 spot. I don't know the criteria they used to determine the list but I'm guessing it has something to do with the cultural impact of the line and the overall rememberance of the quote when thinking of the movie.

The Godfather is awesome but when Brando delivers the line "I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse," you immediately have the catchline for the entire movie. Another example is Norma Desmond saying "I am big. It's the pictures that got small," to Joe in Sunset Boulevard. It sets the tone for the rest of the picture. Clearly, they took their job seriously and picked some great quotes.

Which leads me to one question...where are the Office Space quotes? That disappointed me...so, therefore, I give you Mike's TOP TEN Office Space Quotes! or maybe I should say conversations...

Honorable Mentions:

Bill Lumbergh: Oh, and next Friday... is Hawaiian shirt day... so, you know, if you want to you can go ahead and wear a Hawaiian shirt and jeans.

Milton Waddams: Mr. Lumbergh told me to talk to payroll and payroll told me to talk to Mr. Lumbergh and I still have not received my paycheck and they moved my desk to storage room B and there was garbage on it.

Tom Smykowski: Well-well look. I already told you: I deal with the damn customers so the engineers don't have to. I have people skills; I am good at dealing with people. Can't you understand that? What the hell is wrong with you people?

10. Bob Slydell: I'll be honest with you, I love his music, I do, I'm a Michael Bolton fan. For my money, it doesn't get any better than when he sings "When a Man Loves a Woman".

9. Peter Gibbons: You see Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care.

8. Samir: No, not again. I... why does it say paper jam when there is no paper jam? I swear to God, one of these days, I just kick this piece of $@%^ out the window.
Michael Bolton: You and me both, man. That thing is lucky I'm not armed.

7. Samir: No one in this country can ever pronounce my name right. It's not that hard: Samir Na-gheen-an-a-jar. Nagheenanajar.
Michael Bolton: Yeah, well at least your name isn't Michael Bolton.
Samir: You know there's nothing wrong with that name.
Michael Bolton: There was nothing wrong with it... until I was about 12 years old and that no-talent ass clown became famous and started winning Grammys.
Samir: Hmm... well why don't you just go by Mike instead of Michael?
Michael Bolton: No way. Why should I change? He's the one who sucks.

6. Joanna: Well, what are you going to do about money and bills and...
Peter Gibbons: You know, I've never really liked paying bills. I don't think I'm gonna do that, either.

5. Peter Gibbons: Well, I generally come in at least fifteen minutes late, ah, I use the side door - that way Lumbergh can't see me, heh - after that I sorta space out for an hour.
Bob Porter: Da-uh? Space out?
Peter Gibbons: Yeah, I just stare at my desk, but it looks like I'm working. I do that for probably another hour after lunch too, I'd say in a given week I probably only do about fifteen minutes of real, actual, work.

4. Bob Porter: We'll be getting rid of these people here... First, Mr. Samir Naga... Naga... Naga... Not gonna work here anymore, anyway.

3. Drew: I'm thinking about taking that new chick from Logistics. If things go right I might be showing her my O-face. You know: Oh. Oh.

2. Bob Porter: Looks like you've been missing a lot of work lately.
Peter Gibbons: Well, I wouldn't exactly say I've been *missing* it, Bob.

1. Milton Waddams: [talking on the phone] And I said, I don't care if they lay me off either, because I told, I told Bill that if they move my desk one more time, then, then I'm, I'm quitting, I'm going to quit. And, and I told Don too, because they've moved my desk four times already this year, and I used to be over by the window, and I could see the squirrels, and they were merry, but then, they switched from the Swingline to the Boston stapler, but I kept my Swingline stapler because it didn't bind up as much, and I kept the staples for the Swingline stapler and it's not okay because if they take my stapler then I'll set the building on fire...

No comments: