Wednesday, June 29, 2005

Don't Work...Trust Me

Who really wants to work? Seriously. I mean, the guy who said "There's nothing more rewarding than putting in a hard day's work" didn't know what he was talking about. His job was probably to come up with stupid lines like that to make people work while he sat in the front office watching TV and sipping on margaritas. Or something like that.

Anyway, I'm not saying my job is hard...I work on computers and answer the phone and answer questions and, occasionally do other stuff but it's not like I'm heading down in the mines or something. The real work is just being motivated enough to do what stacks up. And maybe my toughest job is not calling people stupid or murderlizing my neighbor here in the office. One of these days...

Now, if I had a cushy job like professional golfer or, even better, caddying out at Pete Dye (those guys do nothing...I know it), that would be a different story.

I like sports. I could do something in sports. You know, like the general manager of a baseball team or something. Well, it doesn't even have to be the general manager. Maybe I could be like, an announcer. Like a color man. You know how I always make those interesting comments during the game. But, they tend to give those jobs to ex-ballplayers and people that are, you know, in broadcasting.

Movies. I like to watch movies. Do they pay people to watch movies? Projectionists. But you gotta know how to work the projector. And it's probably a union thing. [scoffs] Those unions. [sighs] Okay. Sports,...movies. What about a talk show host? Talk show host. That's good. I think I'd be good at that. I talk to people all the time. Someone even told me once they thought I'd be a good talk show host. Yeah. A couple of people. I don't get that, though. Where do you start? That's where it gets tricky. You can't just walk into a building and say " I wanna be a talk show host." I wouldn't think so. It's all politics.

Sorry about that, ran into a Seinfeld episode...

Anyway, work is overrated. The paychecks are nice and being able to afford food is good but, in the end, if I could manage it, I wouldn't do it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

im with ya mike.....if i could make it without working, i would do it; and anyone who calls that a slacking, no-good-for nothing, waste of skin............must be my father.