Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Same Topic Again!

Well, I just can't help it...I'm writing about pretty much the exact same thing I did yesterday...for the most part. I turn on "American Idol" this evening, which probably isn't the smartest thing to do, and I'm greeted by The Who's Teenage Wasteland. Steele's comments notwithstanding, The Who is one of the greatest and most influential rock bands of all time. Pete Townshend, Roger Daltry, Keith Moon and John Entwhistle, and later Kenney Jones, created some of the greatest music of all time. Songs like My Generation, Behind Blue Eyes, Won't Get Fooled Again, Magic Bus, and the musical Tommy were some of the greatest accomplishments in music.

Anyway, I'll get off my Who soapbox and get back to the point of the post...music legends like The Who shouldn't be near a show like "American Idol," just like Stevie Wonder shouldn't be there or Queen or Elton John or Gloria Estefan. It just drives me crazy. I understand why they do it...hoping to get some crossover and sell some albums or reignite a fading career but these artists I have listed are better than American Idol.

But, even more than Gloria Estefan or Elton John, who could be considered pop, The Who definitely don't belong on American Idol. The Who is rock 'n' roll at its purest. The Who represented the anti-establishment. They may have sold out in the '80s with songs like You Better You Bet, but anything before "Face Dances" should be kept far away from American Idol or TV commercials. It's not right...just not right at all.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Mike...gonna be on the road today so i wont make it for that game.....just wanted to let you know....later bud