Friday, January 05, 2007

Goodbye Bill Cowher

Farewell to Pittsburgh Steelers head coach Bill Cowher. 15 seasons, 161 wins and 1 Super Bowl. And, while I will miss Cowher somewhat, I'm glad he's leaving. I think he should have left after winning the Super Bowl last year because he didn't coach at all this year. Everyone knew he was either going to get paid big $$$ or he was leaving. And Dan Rooney made it obvious that he wasn't going to pay Cowher so it was a wasted season.

The real question is when Cowher will return to coaching. It's disappointing to see a coach like him chase the cash instead of continuing to coach for the Rooneys, who have stood behind him through good and bad. Who knows...Cowher could be on the Miami sideline next season and that would be pretty sickening. But he will coach again somewhere other than Pittsburgh and, most likely, ruin his reputation as a winning, tough coach.

But congratulations to Cowher. Hopefully the Steelers can find another coach who will be willing to stay with the franchise for 15 or so years. It's rare these days (ask Bill Parcells), but it's possible. Especially with owners like the Rooneys.

Oh, and goodbye to Art Shell...I wasn't sure if he was really alive or not but the Raiders fired him so I guess he must have had a pulse. What a disappointment to see...I only watched Raiders games because everytime I saw Shell it reminded me of "Weekend at Bernies."

No comments: