Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Oh yeah...Boise State

Yeah...I completely forgot about Boise State and "best game to EVER go down in history of college football" -- thanks Steele. First of all, I don't like those Best Ever - Instant History - statements. I would argue that Boise State's win was not the best ever. In the grand scheme of things, it didn't really mean a whole lot. Boise State didn't win a championship. Oklahoma didn't lose a championship. It was just a great game.

When it comes to greatest EVER, I would have to put last year's Rose Bowl towards the top of the list because of the meaning of the game. Winner is national champion, loser is...well, loser. And it came down to the final plays in a well-played game. I didn't think Oklahoma played well in the first half which diminishes the game a little for me. And I don't buy the whole little Boise State vs. the evil Oklahoma slant.

I would also say the 2003 Fiesta Bowl was higher on the greatest ever ladder because of the meaning of the game and the fact it went to overtime and is still one of the most talked about games ever (thanks to a controversial pass interference call and a broken Willis McGahee).

Other games that would deserve consideration would include the 1984 Orange Bowl (Miami 31 vs. Nebraska 30 - National Championship), 1987 Fiesta Bowl (Penn State 14 - Miami 10 - National Championship) and 1994 Orange Bowl (Florida State 18 - Nebraska 16 - National Championship). Those games were great and had more meaning at the end - a national championship.

Granted, Boise's win was nice and a very exciting game -- and eventually it may mean something to all of college football (playoff?) but I don't look for it to be a direct result of Boise's victory. But, mostly I don't think Boise State's win is the greatest game EVER just to make everyone mad.

Oh, and I'm disappointed by Nick Saban's decision to go to Alabama. I think he just simply failed in the NFL...I don't see anyway around that conclusion.

No comments: