Saturday, December 24, 2005

Christmas Eve...hmmm...

Well, I can't say Festivus was an overwhelming success at work. Oh, the food was good and I think most of the participants, maybe 10, had a good time. However, at least one person went away slightly offended. I'll explain in a minute...but, we did air some grievances...mostly comical though. Our feats of strength were constrained to Rock-Em, Sock-Em Robots and the occasional thumb-wrestling matchup (I failed at both). Then, it was back to work...and, unfortunately Friday was busier than it should have been.

As far as the offense...well, one of the participants didn't understand what Festivus was and hadn't seen Seinfeld. So, we found an explanation Flash video online that kind of explained it...jokingly of course. Unfortunately, it said that Festivus was devoid of any religious affiliation...so, she immediately jumped to the conclusion that it must be an Anti-Christmas; Anti-Christian holiday. And, well, that's what she took from it and, since I was the one who suggested the celebration, I must be anti-Christmas. Or at least I'm some PC guy who is trying to rid the nation of Christmas. Of course, nothing could be further from the truth but I'm pretty sure that's what she took from it. The only comment I heard was "I just don't get it." But, beyond that, it was a success...

Anyway, now I'm just preparing for the Christmas Eve festivities and the exchanging of gifts. I recently read an article that I can't find now about how it is easier to give than to receive. I would agree with that...I enjoy giving gifts. Receiving them is the more difficult part...I don't care what anyone says.

Other than that, not much going on. Merry Christmas to everyone if I don't update again before then...

No comments: