Sunday, December 03, 2006

Wow

One year ago, West Virginia won a wild game at Mylan Puskar Stadium in triple overtime by stopping a two-point conversion which prevented Louisville from going winning the Big East and going to the BCS. This year, by playing a eerily similar game, WVU prevents Rutgers from winning the Big East and going to the BCS and, instead, allows Louisville to go to the Sugar Bowl. And much like last year, WVU played with their backup quarterback. And, once again, a classic thriller in Morgantown was overshadowed by USC and received hardly any coverage...which doesn't seem quite right.

Regardless, WVU came out and played hard without their Heisman-caliber quarterback and with less to play for than Rutgers. It would have been easy for this WVU squad to pack it in and be happy going to the Sun or Texas Bowl and finishing out a disappointing season. Instead, they stood tall and, after some initial mistakes, settled in to play good football. The offense wasn't explosive without White but, instead, showed the ability to move the ball on several good drives. The defense played poorly on two drives but, other than that, they played well against the 13th ranked team in the nation...I was impressed.

I was happy to see a very large crowd at Mylan Puskar Stadium brave the freezing weather. The student section was full by mid-first quarter, which isn't great but at least they finally showed. I am becoming a little disgruntled with the amount of whining fans who increase weekly. This people standing at random times cussing Rod and his staff are really showing their ignorance because they obviously have no understanding of the game...but I digress.

It looks likely that another Gator Bowl berth is forthcoming. Not sure if I can stomach traveling to Jacksonville for another Gator Bowl. Not saying we can't win, just saying I don't think I want to go. If we play Georgia Tech, the secondary will be tested. Reggie Ball played horribly against Wake in the ACC Championship game but surely he can find Calvin Johnson a few times.

Oh, speaking of the ACC Championship Game -- they should be very embarrassed -- there were more people at Louisville/UConn and at WVU/Rutgers than at that "championship" game. I saw more empty seats at Alltel Stadium than I saw full. I hope John Swofford cried last night.

Anyway, GTech v. WVU is a good matchup and West Virginia fans travel well. I might go...I'm going back and forth in my head as I write. If, for some reason, the Gator picks a Big 12 team, we are off to the Sun Bowl in El Paso, Texas. Not so good. But, congratulations to the Mountaineers on a great win last night and on consecutive 10-win seasons for the first time in school history. If Rich Rod stays, I don't see any reason we can't make it 3 in a row!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Yeah, don't really remember much of the whole 5 minutes of the game I was in the stadium for... Thank god for the late night replay!