Tuesday, December 19, 2006

WE ARE ...

SICK OF MATTHEW MCCONAUGHEY!!! Another night of McConaughey on Monday Night Football. Do you think the guy has a movie coming out? I mean, I would never guess it from the 8 billion commercials and the celebrity guest appearances at every sporting event airing on ESPN. I haven't seen ESPN this restrained on publicity since "Junction Boys" or "A Season on the Brink." Or maybe a North Carolina/Duke game with "Full Circle."

I understand marketing for movies and whatnot and, of course, they are going after the ESPN-type crowd...but there becomes a point of oversaturation and I am there. I will not be going to see "We Are Marshall" in the movie theatres...and here is why:
  1. I really, really dislike Matthew McConaughey. I just don't like him...his stoner voice is annoying and I just don't want to watch him in any movie. As far as I'm concerned, he could have been in "Dazed & Confused" and his career end shortly thereafter.
  2. It's a docu-drama. Part of it is real, part is fiction. I am not a big fan...I would rather watch a true documentary on the events of the crash and the aftermath rather than have someone make up stories about what occurred in the subsequent years. I have no interest in the love story that I am sure exists (I honestly don't have any idea because I haven't read any review, even though I hear the reviews are positive).
  3. The marketing has been too agressive for me. Usually when a movie pushes this hard for an audience, the results are disappointing. Once again, haven't seen it but hear reviews are positive but considering the amount of coverage it has received, I don't want to see it.
  4. I don't like going to the movies. Yeah, that's the real reason I will not be going to the theatres to watch "We Are Marshall." I just don't like going to the movies...to see anything. And this one doesn't change that.

This really doesn't have anything to do with Marshall or my like or dislike thereof. I'm sure their fans can't get any more obnoxious so I don't think this will make any difference. I'm just glad the movie is finally going to be out and maybe, within a few weeks, we can stop hearing about it. The commercials really have wore me out...any interest I might have had in watching the movie has been completely ruined by the marketing. I just want it to end. I might eventually see it on DVD...might not. Only time will tell...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It seems like such a lame movie, really. Let me guess what happens - after the crash, people are shocked that some wise guy coach would try to put together another team. The team will stink, get better, and eventually the momentum will build and there will be some kind of big upset win or some other statement-making action that proves they have overcome tragedy.

The town will then say, "yea, that wasn't a win for just a team, that was for the whole town.." yawn. I'm interested to see how they portray a West Virginia town, but the story really seems over dramatic and "been done." I would rather watch a real documentary with real interviews about what happened.