Monday, December 18, 2006

Sports Writer

I'm not saying that a sports writer for the newspaper or a "journalist" for ESPN has the easiest job in the world...but I am saying that it is a job that many people would enjoy having. But some sports writers just aren't very good...and today's example is none other than good ol' Stephen A. Smith. Last night Stephen A. reported on the Knicks/Nuggets brawl. Let's recap his revealing story:
  • Carmello Anthony is going to be suspended. Probably more than 5 games. Stephen A. thinks it could be 15-20 but he has no idea.
  • Isiah Thomas may have told Anthony to stay out of the lane.
  • George Karl may have been running up the score a little bit which made Thomas mad.
  • Karl may have been upset about the handling of the Larry Brown situation in New York and may have been sending Thomas a message.
  • Larry Brown and George Karl are both part of the "UNC family" and are friends.
  • David Stern has been trying to clean up the NBA's image.

And, that was it. That was Stephen A.'s 90-second segment on SportsCenter. Are you kidding me? I could have wrote that exact same story in 5 minutes. There are no league sources speculating on what the penalties may be. There's no conversations with Stu Jackson. Nothing...he did zero work on that story. If I had the connections Stephen A. should have, I could have reported a story 10-times better. Stephen A. puts no effort in his job and gets paid big bucks for it. Of course, he defended Thomas because...well, Stephen A. likes to defend certain segments of the population.

Anyway, if I were in Stephen A.'s position, I would do better work. Pick up the phone and get a scoop on something. Otherwise, don't waste my time with your "reporting." Stephen A. is horrible and I don't understand why he has his own show. He's a waste of time.

No comments: