Thursday, September 07, 2006

Response to Davis

Being the master here, I get to answer the questions posed to me in a grand fashion...so, first, here's the article re: Clinton's response via a letter sent from Bruce Lindsey, head of the Clinton Foundation, and Douglas Bond, a top lawyer in Clinton's office:

BUBBA GOES BALLISTIC ON ABC...

Here's another article re: reactions of others in the administration:

Clinton Administration Officials Assail ABC's 'The Path to 9/11'

I agree with your point on sway. I don't see anyone's opinion of what happened September 11th change because of this movie. Personally, I don't think you can blame anyone other than the terrorists for 9/11. Granted, Bush was told in a memo in August that an attack may be coming. Additionally, Clinton may or may not have had the opportunity to catch Bin Laden. The CIA and FBI may have dropped the ball. Maybe if someone connected all the dots, it could have been prevented...but, well, they didn't. And therefore, two towers collapse in NYC. Obviously tragic.

But, let's be honest...before September 11, 2001, would anyone really, truly believe something like that could occur in the United States? The WTC attack of '93 showed it possible. The Oklahoma City bombing showed some vulnerabilities. The USS Cole and two embassy attacks showed there was terrorism...but, if you were President, would you believe something like that were possible inside our own borders before 9/11? Personally, I don't think I would have.

September 11 was a tragedy with plenty of blame that could be assigned. But wouldn't we all be better off to learn from the mistakes and find the failings rather than trying to assign blame? I think the answer is yes. We just need to figure out a way to do that...

And, as I typed the above response to JD, the following occurred:

ABC alters 9/11 show under pressure

Some people will care about tha a lot more than I do. Let the fight begin...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well, here's a very telling line from the article:

The reps for an outraged Clinton wrote to Iger that "no such episode ever occurred - nor did anything like it."

The 9/11 commission report echoes his denial, and found that Clinton's Cabinet gave "its blessing" for a CIA plan to capture bin Laden and determined that ex-CIA Director George Tenet squashed the plan.

So apparently the movie embellished a little bit to add some drama. I don't see that as a big deal. I watched part of the movie last night, and actually, I saw that part. But I don't see that anyone truly blames Bill Clinton for 9/11, or even Bush, for that matter. You are correct, I doubt it was preventable, no matter who was calling the shots.

So it seems ABC made minor alterations to the movie. I'm not in favor of any type of censure, but this wasn't the government calling for censure, it was a few Clinton lawyers writing some letters to ABC. I have seen far worse examples of attempted censure coming from the horses currently pulling the cart. Either way, I think the whole stink about the movie has been overblown..

I did enjoy the part of the movie where the operatives caputured the embassy bomber in Nairobi, and the American operative said "Michael Jordan! Larry Bird!" to the guys holding the knives. When is the official mswish review of this movie? Looking forward to it.

On a lighter note, Steve Slaton has just scored three touchdowns as of this morning against Maryland's defense. He's that quick.