Tuesday, July 19, 2005

Whatcha Gonna Do...

I've written before about my affinity towards reality television shows. And, a major part of that comes from VH1 and their Celebreality television, i.e., Surreal Life, Celebrity Fit Club, etc. But, a new comer is "Hogan Knows Best" which stars one of my all-time favorite wreslers, Hulk Hogan.

Back in the mid to late 80s, wrestling was huge. I mean, HUGE. Hulk Hogan ruled the world and the WWF was everyone. Early morning cartoons, mid-day wrestling events...I watched wrestling at my great grandmothers every Sunday afternoon. It was a can't miss event. The first Wrestlemania was in 1985...amazing. And, like I said, Hulk Hogan was the catalyst for the entire thing...he was on top of the world with his "Take your vitamins and say your prayers" schtick.

Anyway, that's just buildup into "Hogan Knows Best". I've tried not to watch...I even told myself I wasn't going to watch. But, naturally, what did I do? I watched. And I enjoyed it. The Hulkster is tough. He's very protective of his daughter and, for the most part, the family seems to respect him. That's impressive to me because I expected to see him portrayed as an ogre who didn't know his kids and was completely disconnected from his family. It was a pleasant surprise to see that he knew his kids and went out of his way to look out for their well-being. And the relationship between him and his wife seems very good too.

Anyway, it makes me feel better about liking Hulk Hogan now that it seems he has continued to succeed outside the wrestling ring. So many other former wrestlers have either had major problems or are no longer with us, it's nice to see the biggest star can still shine bright. Way to go Hulk...maybe Hogan always knew best.

No comments: