Wednesday, July 06, 2005

The Pirates...Again

I've talked about the Pirates before and my utter frustration towards them. They have a very loyal fan base and one of the most spectacular ballparks in baseball. The only field I've ever seen that rivals it is SBC Park in San Francisco and I would still take PNC over it. Anyway, on June 11, the Pirates defeated Tampa Bay 18-2 to improve their record to 30-30. Things were looking pretty promising...or so I thought. Since then, they have gone 6-16. In case you don't know, that's not good.

July 31st, a mere 3 + weeks away, is the Major League Baseball trading deadline. As the Pirates are now 36-46, and a mere 16.5 games back of St. Louis in the NL Central, it is obvious that leading up to the deadline, the Pirates will be looking to sell. In other words, they will be looking to dump the payroll so that McClatchy can further pad his wallet. Among those on the chopping block include Lawton, Redman, Wells and Mesa. Some players, like Mesa, have lobbied Pirates management to keep them in the 'Burgh, but don't be surprised to see them dealt before all is said and done.

But, instead of ranting and raving about how the losing seasons are going to continue well into the future, I read another article and decided use it instead. This is from a friend and I think it sums up the feeling on baseball completely...hopefully he doesn't sue me for stealing it:

It's the Fourth of July. A fun-filled holiday where America takes the day off and kicks back. Naturally, I watched baseball this afternoon: the Pirates hosted the Phillies at PNC Park. The Phillies decided to work during this sacred American holiday. Apparently the Pirates were as relaxed as I was, and were pounded by Phila to the tune of 12-1.

So I sat down to write a rant about the Pirates, but then I realized they just plain suck these days and there's not much else to say. But even though they lost, I would have much rather been at PNC to see it in person. Because Baseball is indeed America's pastime, and it's alive and well.

I caught some of the Washington Nationals game as well, and then read an inspiring article from ESPN.com. To sum it up, last Wednesday, the Nationals drew a crowd larger than any game last season when they were the Expos, except for the final game at Olympic stadium. Remember when that final game was played last year? The crowd in Montreal booed during the American National Anthem. Well, screw those bloody canucks, eh? Baseball is America's sport, and I can't help but place the Nationals as my new favorite team (minus the bumbling Pirates, of course).

Baseball isn't like any other sport. It's not just about the game, it's an experience. I was gazing longingly at my panoramic photograph of old Three Rivers Stadium, and was mentally comparing the scene with PNC Park. I was at Three Rivers at least six times, four for the Steelers and two for the Pirates. There is absolutely no comparison (as far as baseball is concerned- It was a perfect place for Rooney no-frills football). Football season only covers 17 weeks, so I'm always glued to the TV for every play. With baseball, there are over 100 games during the course of a season, and the slow pace of each game really lets you relax. You can talk with family and friends, and if you visit a place like PNC Park, it's a breathtaking view that is worth your ticket admission alone (since the Pirates will doubtful give you your money's worth).

So here's to you, baseball. The true pastime of this great country.

No comments: