Saturday, July 02, 2005

War of the Worlds

Saw the movie War of the Worlds this evening. So, I'll give you a quick review. I'll try not to spoil anything about the movie. And let me preface this by stating that I think Tom Cruise has lost his mind. Anyway, to the movie:

The movie starts out kinda slow. We have to get introduced to Tom Cruise's cool character and his family, which he obviously has some trouble with. Divorced, we see there is some tension between him and his children. This becomes a recurring theme throughout the entire two hour movie. So Tom is watching his kids when this War of the Worlds begins.

Let's just say there's a lot of special effects from this point forward. And they are good. When the aliens attack, it's pretty vicious. And don't say I spoiled anything...it's war so it's pretty apparent they attack. Tom someone manages to escape the initial attacks. Once again, a recurring theme throughout the movie. So, now their trek begins...

From that point, it's one attack after another. A lot of people walking the streets because cars no longer work. A crazy person or two along the way. At one point, I thought I was watching Independence Day, only Will Smith had been replaced by Tom Cruise.

So, that's the movie. Now, to the criticisms: the movie leaves a lot of questions about the aliens unanswered. Supposedly, these things visited at some point in the past. Where have they been? And why did they wait so long to come back? And what exactly was there goal on earth? And were there more of them somewhere or was that the whole lot of em? They really left the aliends a complete mystery. Additionally, the movie only focuses on a small window of what is happening. Independence Day at least gave a glimpse of what was happening around the world. No such luck this time.

There's a lot of little wierd things that happen that I won't get into here. But, when you get to the end and find out what happened, it's a little disappointing. But, I guess an ending is an ending.

Anyway, these movies kinda freak me out because I don't want to think about aliens attacking. But, if they do, I'm quickly going to become a member of Tom Cruise's family because, obviously, the aliens like them. Maybe it's the Scientology?

No comments: