Monday, October 29, 2007

Rutgers Trip - Pt. 2

Alright...so I pretty much explained the game. It was wet and entertaining. West Virginia dominated and still managed to drop a spot in one of the polls. But that's alright, there's still a lot of football left and anything can happen. West Virginia at least controls its own destiny now thanks to the USF loss. And collegefootballnews.com has WVU playing in the national championship game after all is settled.

Anyway, here's some more observations from the trip up to New Jersey...
  • West Virginia's Fall Foilage far exceeds that of Maryland and New Jersey. Once you hit Garrett County, Maryland, most of the trees are dead. It's pretty amazing...
  • Lots of fog and rain. Especially around Cumberland...which reminded me of a story one of my co-workers told me. She was serious and I'll just give the final sentence. "It was so foggy out that my mother had to get out of the car to feel the road to make sure we were still on it..."
  • Passed a pretty nasty wreck on Sideling Hill.
  • Traffic was stopped at one point in the trip which reminded me of my trip to Charlotte for the Continental Tire Bowl back in 2002. We entered Virginia and sat at a standstill for what felt like hours. What should have been a 6-hour trip turned into about 10. Wytheville, if I remember correctly...it was bad. Still got to Charlotte around 10:00 I think...
  • I thought about calling John Veasey for this one...gas is only $2.57 in New Jersey and it is full-service. What's up with that?
  • It rained the entire first half. Thank goodness for the Bass Pro Shop raingear my boss gave me. Yes, I wore green Bass Pro Shop gear for the WVU/Rutgers game. A little out of place but I was sure dry...
  • It really turned into a monsoon at times. I hadn't sat through rain like that for a football game for awhile. At least it wasn't cold though. I do recall getting hailed upon at Lane Stadium for the WVU/Virginia Tech game once.
  • On the way back from Rutgers, we ate at Arby's. Upon leaving Arby's we missed the road we were supposed to get on and got stuck in the middle of some Halloween Festival in Valero, PA. Luckily, we managed to get out before they completely shut down the road...not sure what was going on there.

So, that was about it. I still can't get over that gas in New Jersey was on $2.57 and it's full service. Where's John Veasey? What a scoop this would be for the Times...

No comments: