Thursday, November 10, 2005

Cincinnati Game

Well, headed up Cincinnati way with Jacob to see if the Mountaineers would be able to continue their run to the Big East championship. So, just a quick rundown of that trip and the experience of going to the campus of the Bearcats and watching a stomping...

Left Fairmont approx. 10:00 a.m. Conditions: Mild temperature and rain. Not too bad though. Things went pretty well until I got behind a truck that looked as though it was out mud-bogging all day or something. While the car wasn't clean by any stretch before I left, this truck completely covered me in mud....and, as luck would have it, the rain was done at that point and the mud was there to say.

Traveling to Cincinnati takes around 5 hours...upon arrival around 3:30, we found the campus first to try to find a good way from the stadium to the hotel for later. Instead of getting back on I-71, I had a hunch that I could find the back way to downtown Cincy and the Terrace Hotel. I was wrong. Instead, we wound up on the wrong side of Cincy...the ghetto you might call it. I'm talking about serious ghetto...even down to the obligatory black guy in the wheelchair with no legs ghetto. It was kinda scary...I locked the doors. Somehow, we survived and eventually found the hotel and somewhere to park.

The Terrace Hotel in Cincinnati was a recommended hotel and it wasn't bad really...no parking though. So, had to pay to park for an hour or so while we checked in (it was only $1 for 2 hours...excellent price). The lady at the front desk was kind enough to give me directions to Nippert Stadium which were very good. So, around 6:00 we headed out to the game.

$7.00 for parking on campus...walked around the campus a little while trying to find the stadium. It was still about an hour before kickoff so there wasn't much of a crowd yet...but, then again, there never was. Kinda got lost a little..saw the basketball facility and like some other well-lit alumni area or something. Finally found the stadium by following the Cincinnati band around. Seats were on the 3-5 yard line...first row. I mean, first row...like right at the wall. Couldn't see anything except the WVU cheerleaders. Luckily Nippert Stadium has a huge scoreboard that shows every play...so, that was how I watched the game. The stadium has undergone a lot of work over the past few years and it looks like they're not quite complete yet. It is a cool stadium though...right in the middle of the U. of Cincinnati campus.

Cincinnati fans didn't show up really...and those that did left at halftime. They didn't really do anything cool...no chants, no noise...at least not that I could ever distinguish. There were, to put it nicely, boring. There were a lot of Mountaineer fans there though..more than I expected for a weeknight game in Cincinnati. The Mountaineer wasn't allowed to shoot the musket but the Bearcats shot off fireworks on the field before the start of the game and shot a cannon a couple times during the course of festivities. That caused some consternation among the Mountaineer brethren. Of course, it was sad for Cincy to not have any fans and not even be able to keep the lights on...especially since it was a chance to shine on national TV...but, that's life.

By the time the game was over, it was only Mountaineer fans. The "Let's Go Mountaineers" chant was in full force and the Bearcat players were shooting us dirty looks. To leave, we went on to the playing field and out a tunnel...I don't think that was standard protocol but no one was guarding the fence. So, we just kinda took the place over. Poor Bearcat fans didn't know what to do. Maybe the best line of the night was in the 4th quarter when the fans were doing the "Let's Go Mountaineers" and a distraught fan yelled from the walkway as they were leaving "You've already won". It was a great night.

So, traveled back today...had to stop and get gas before leaving Cincinnati. A gentleman "Needing money to get a cab to go to work" was kind enough to wash my windows for $3. He said a buck or two but I was feeling generous. The ride back was nice...good weather. I immediately washed my car when I got back to Fairmont because it was disgusting. But, that's about it...I'm sure there's more but I'm tired and will now go to sleep.

No comments: