Friday, February 02, 2007

A Little Work Rant

Honestly, I almost had my office cleaned up. Someone even commented in passing that it looked like I had cleaned...I worked hard trying to get things off the floor and back in their proper location. But then...bad things happened...a little backstory:

I order a majority of the supplies for the department. Switches, cables, printers, computers, laptops, even speciality ink cartridges...I try to keep it in stock. Obviously, I become quite frustrated when people, for example, someone takes the last HP 48 ink cartridge without telling me and without placing an order (hey, anyone in the department can order this crap). Everyone uses ink...but there are certain things I order just because I use them...KVM switches, external hard drives, USB extensions. No one else really orders them...and no one else has ever asked me to get any for them. Generally I keep these type of supplies on shelves in my office:

So, Tuesday rolls along. A request is made to move a large printer/multi-function device from its currently location to an office a couple floors down. No problem...except there's only one network jack down there. So, I decided I would hookup the lady who needed it via USB...easy, right? Well, the location of the printer was a distance away from her PC...so I needed an extension. I knew that that the last time I looked I had three. Well, lo and behold, no USB extensions to be found...hmmmm.

Alright...don't get frustrated...we'll just put a little Linksys 5-port switch down there and hook her up to the network. I ordered five of them and stuck them behind my desk so no one would take them...surely at least one remains. Come on...there has to be one left, right? NOPE. Not a one...so, I started questioning people...where's my switches? Where's my switches? Responses ranged from "I don't know" to "I didn't take your switches" to "Huh?" Well, by this point, I was quite annoyed...the lady wanted to print...no switches, no extension...nothing.

So, after clearing my shelves looking for either a switch or extension, I finally disconnected my switch and took it down to her. I was not very pleased with that result...so I ordered 5 more switches and I'm hiding them and next time someone needs one they will get an "I don't know." I just find it ridiculous that people can't replace items they borrow...it shouldn't be that way.

Anyway, I haven't cleaned my office yet...I may try to straighten it up today...I did pick up the laptop hard drives from the floor this morning...but, this is what my office has looked like since Tuesday...she's a beauty, isn't she:

No comments: