Tuesday, October 31, 2006

2 Days and Counting

Well, we are two days away from what will be one of the biggest games in WVU football history and one of the biggest games in the 2006 college football season. But the storyline of the game has turned a little on what Rich Rodriguez said about his name being brought up as a potential replacement for John Bunting at North Carolina. Or maybe it is what Rich didn't say...

When asked about potentially replacing Bunting, Rodriguez said "Anytime any coaches on our staff or myself get mentioned [for a job], it's very flattering. It's not something I've ever viewed as a distraction. I'm focused on what we're doing right now in our season," he said. "After the season I'm sure I'll sit down with our people here and discuss, with my family, if anything is interesting at that point. "

Obviously, this raises anxiety among WVU fans. Everyone wants to hear him say "I'm committed to WVU and plan to be here for many years to come." But, that's just not reality. We dealt with the same thing with John Beilein last year. Success brings these types of problems. RichRod's name has been thrown out for many jobs all over the college football landscape. Personally, I don't see him going to UNC. However, there is another potential job out there that could be open this year or next that I could see him leave for: Florida State.

Imagine what Rodriguez could do with the recruiting base in Florida. He's a great recruiter and a great coach and with FSU resources, he could build on the success of Bowden. It's really the only place I could see him at other than West Virginia. I've heard that Rodriguez and Bowden have a good relationship and the Florida State fanbase has expressed an interest in landing the coach. I would hate to see him leave, but if he does, this is the most likely place he'd land.

In other news, Governor Manchin was in town yesterday and made the big announcement. I've heard a lot of grumbling about the waterpark project but, hey, something is better than nothing. A lot of people expect it to fall apart. But, I'm not so sure. If it were a public funded venture, I would agree that it would end in disaster. But the fact that it is privately funded gives me hope. Obviously the group that is building it needs it to succeed and will do everything in their power to make it happen. I'm genuinely optimistic.

Lastly, head over to the M Zone to check out Coaches' Halloween Costumes. Rich didn't make the cut but I definitely enjoyed Tommy Tubberville's. Oh, and I really hate Charlie Weis.

No comments: