Saturday, October 28, 2006

WVU = #3?

Well, they should be #3 tomorrow after USC lost to the Beavers of Oregon State. Does that mean they will be #3? Who knows...I don't think anyone will jump Texas over us but some people may decide Florida should be #3. I would remind everyone that Florida lost.

I've grown very weary of the 1-loss vs. undefeated Big East argument. Every week it's the same thing. Obviously Lee has a vested interest that an undefeated Big East team be overlooked in favor of a 1-loss team...any 1-loss team is better than the Big East as far as he's concerned. And he's not alone. But I would remind them that the season isn't even close to over. Florida still has an SEC championship game to play. USC still plays Notre Dame. Notre Dame and USC have both looked poor all season long.

I would also remind everyone that the Big East is and will remain a BCS conference. Therefore, an undefeated Big East champion should be given the same weight as any other conference champion. I would also argue that the Big East is a very strong conference right now. WVU, Louisville, Rutgers and Pitt are all good teams that I would feel very comfortable seeing compete in any conference. Cincinnati and USF are each one win away from bowl eligibility. Syracuse is improved over last year. UConn is in a rebuilding year.

I will be the first to admit that the schedule of Big East schools is not overly impressive. However, the Big East has played the teams on their schedules and played very well. WVU beat a good Maryland team...one of the better teams in the ACC. Louisville beat an average, at best, Miami team. Rutgers scheduled, and beat, Illinois, UNC and Navy. Who knew UNC and Illinois were going to be that bad. UNC was supposed to be good this year and Illinois was supposed to be turning around under Ron Zook. Pittsburgh played Virginia and Michigan State. Who knew Virginia was going to be that bad and probably fire Al Groh at the end of the year. Michigan State beat Pittsburgh but Michigan State has been bipolar all year...good and bad.

So, judging by that, Big East schools did schedule some decent competition. Unfortunately, the teams they scheduled were far worse than anyone would have guessed 3-6 years ago when they made the schedules. By comparison, let's look at a national powerhouse schedule. Texas is ranked right behind WVU...who is their out of conference opponents? North Texas, Ohio State, Rice, and Sam Houston State. Outside of Ohio State, the combined records of the other 3 schools is 9-14 with Sam Houston being a I-AA school. Is that a national schedule?

Obviously, the argument would then turn to "look at the in-conference opponents." Okay...Oklahoma is playing reall well. They handed Oklahoma their only loss. No undefeated teams in the Big 12. So, I'll admit the Big 12 is a great conference but I don't necessarily believe that the toughest teams in the Big 12 are really that much greater than Louisville, Rutgers or Pitt. I think Pitt could beat Texas A&M, Louisville could beat Oklahoma and West Virginia could beat Texas.

Anyway, I'm just about sick of the argument. The season isn't over...WVU and Louisville could both lose before the season is over and the argument is moot. But I will continue to argue that if WVU or UL is undefeated at the end of the season, they deserve a nod to the BCS championship game over a 1-loss Florida, ND, USC or any other 1-loss team you want to throw at me.

With that said, I'm now ready to travel to Louisville on Thursday to cheer the Mounties on to victory. I can't wait to see what the reception at Papa Johns' Stadium is like for Mountaineer fans. Since Louisville has declared it "Blackout Thursday," I purchased a white WVU polo today to wear to the game. Nothing like sticking out...

Friday is the big BIG East/West game here in Fairmont. It will be the biggest East/West game I have ever been a witness to. Probably the biggest in at least 30 years considering both teams are going to the playoffs. The winner will have homefield advantage for the first round of the State playoffs. That's something worth playing for.

Lastly, I had been in Charleston most of the week, thus the lack of updates. We had another person leave our IT department suddenly which necessitated my trip. My apologies for not getting up the predictions before the games. I would have been way wrong anyway probably...

No comments: