Monday, October 09, 2006

Weekend Roundup

Well, let's start out with the Mountaineers. How many other teams in America can defeat their opponent by 28 points, have a team ranked higher than them lose and still end up falling in the polls? I will readily admit that Florida and Michigan have played tougher schedules than WVU. But you can't just arbitrarily drop the Mountaineers in the rankings despite a good win. Had they beaten MSU by 3, I would agree with the drop. But they beat them by 28. I guess it doesn't matter. I still have a gut feeling that even if WVU does beat Louisville and goes undefeated, we won't be in the BCS Championship Game. Just a feeling...

The Yankees have been eliminated. So, the question is: Is it better to make the playoffs and lose in the first round or better to just not make it? I am honestly not sure. The Yankees prompt exit is really unacceptable considering the money put into that lineup. I hate to say it but if I were Steinbrenner, I would fire Torre and trade A-Rod. Torre has been a great manager but there's something amiss on the team and it starts there. I don't know that Pienella would be my first choice for a replacement but I would let Torre go. As for A-Rod, he's a great player. He will return to being a great player. But he needs to play shortstop and I don't know about the pressure of New York. I would trade him for young pitching. His contract isn't as bad as you might think considering how much the Rangers picked up. I don't blame A-Rod at all for the Yankees being out of the playoffs but I just don't think he's a good fit for the team. And someone would be very happy picking him up.

The Steelers are in serious trouble. Being 1-3 and in, arguably, the toughest division in the NFL isn't a good thing for Pittsburgh. I don't know if they can right this ship or not. Honestly, I missed the 2nd half of the game...I wasn't feeling very well. Ben was playing pretty good in the first half so I'm not sure where the collapse was so if someone wants to fill me in, that would be excellent. I haven't read anything about it yet so it seems the offense must have died in the 2nd half.

Lastly, T.O. at Philly was a major disappointment. I had to live through months of hype for this stupid game and it was the biggest disappointment ever. The game was okay but no one ran on the field and tried to tackle T.O. I didn't see anything thrown from the stands. Not witty chants but the Eagle faithful. Major disappointment. T.O.'s little fit on the field and on the sidelines weren't as good as they could have been. His press conference sounded like a baby crying about not getting his bottle. T.O. was afraid to catch a pass across the middle so he would catch on the sidelines and jump out of bounds. What a disappointment. As for the Cowboys - bench Bledsoe and fire T.O.

No comments: