Monday, October 30, 2006

Local Elections

Well, before I start, let me just say the Steelers lost and they are now officially a bad team. Not good...just bad.

With that said, today Fairmont Officials and the Governor will announce the plans to construct a major resort on what is known as the "Sharon Steel Site." Plans include a waterpark, hotel and conference center. Jobs and growth are supposed to follow the project into Fairmont and Marion County.

I am certainly in favor of using the waste dump for something...anything. And if it really occurs, excellent. I am in favor of any development in Fairmont and Marion County. But I can't help but think the timing of this announcement is a little suspect. Eight days before an election, Fairmont City officials announce this major plan...after sitting on their hands for how many years?

Folks, this doesn't come down to a Republican v. Democrat argument for me in Fairmont. This comes down to a "Good Ol' Boys" network that has controlled Marion County and Fairmont politics for years. With the backing of Manchin and Mollohan, Fairmont and Marion Count have fallen into the "vote for the name" system of politics. And my question is why? What has voting the same people into office over and over again done for Marion County and Fairmont? Show me one major improvement in Fairmont compared to the surrounding areas.

Some people might point to the High Tech Consortium in White Hall. Well, what good has that really done for Fairmont? Have you been to East Side? You can't shop on the East Side of the river. You can't get a decent meal on the East Side of the river. And, quite frankly, the West Side isn't a whole lot better. What businesses are moving into Fairmont? We're spending millions on a highway connector that runs to Yann's. Now, don't get me wrong, Yann makes a great hotdog but do we need a 4-lane into his business?

But that's besides the point. I want someone to tell me what benefit Marion County and Fairmont have received from constantly voting in the exact same people. I think it's time to put in some new people with fresh ideas who can work for Marion County, not work to pad their pockets. It's time to vote people in who care about Fairmont and not their own advancement. It's time to vote out the Good Ol' Boys and I hope you join me on November 7th in attempting to do just that.

No comments: