Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Football Predictions

Well, since I’ll be leaving first thing tomorrow morning for Louisville, I guess I’ll have to do my football predictions a day early. There are two huge matchups for this area (as far as I’m concerned anyway). WVU visiting Louisville and the 86th Annual East/West Game here in Fairmont.

I’ll start off with #10 East Fairmont at #7 Fairmont Senior. This is probably the biggest matchup between the cross-town rivals in recent memory. Both schools are a lock for the State Playoffs and it will be East’s first appearance in the playoffs in 30-years. My first worry would be that East players feel they’ve already accomplished their goal (playoffs) and this could be a letdown. Then I said “Not so fast, my friend…” This is a rivalry game and there’s still a lot at stake. The winner of the East/West game will have homefield in the first round of the playoffs.
I’ve seen Fairmont Senior twice this year and both times they have been extremely impressive. The speed the West team possesses could make a huge difference in this matchup. Watch for West to try to go long early and put this game away in a hurry. If East can hang around until the second half, they have a good chance at frustrating the Polar Bears and pulling off the upset.

The Bees will obviously be looking for their playmakers to step up again with some big plays and the defense has to play at home to contain the Bears potent offense. Should be a great matchup. I hope they don’t meet in the first round of the playoffs again though…and that’s a real possibility and it would be a major disappointment. Anyway, the speed of Fairmont Senior really concerns me but I can’t go against the Bees in this magical year. East Fairmont 34 – Fairmont Senior 28

As for #3 WVU at #5 Louisville…well, a huge matchup for a potential shot at a national championship. I don’t believe WVU has to pass the ball to win…I think they need to line up White, Slaton and Schmidtt in the backfield and run, run, run. The occasional screen pass or slant to keep the defense honest and a try deep on 1st down a few times. I don’t think we can rely on White’s arm to win…it’s going to be his legs.

As for Louisville, they need Brohm to shake off the rust and make some plays. The WVU secondary remains suspect and he needs to abuse them. Go deep often. WVU has left the door open multiple times. The Cards just need to take advantage. Run occasionally but you’re not going to win the ballgame with running because that’s the one thing the WVU defense can stop.

Should be a great matchup…great publicity for both schools and for the Big East. “Blackout Thursday” on ESPN HD. I’m really anxious and excited. And nervous. But I think Rich Rod and the boys figure out a way to pull off another huge night win. And with a memorable score… WVU 38 – UL 35

In other football action:

LSU 17 – Tennessee 13
Boston College 27 – Wake Forest 21
Oklahoma 25 – Texas A&M 13V
irginia Tech 38 – Miami 17

Oh, and lastly let me say that the Miami Heat’s performance last night was downright embarrassing.

No comments: