Saturday, November 04, 2006

So Close...

Well, the 86th Annual East/West Game was hyped because of the matchup between two playoff teams. But the game typically is a blowout one way or the other. But this year the matchup lived up to the hype as West Fairmont stopped East 2 yards short of the endzone to preserve a 35-28 victory over the Bees. It was probably the best contested East/West game I have seen. The only thing that could have made the game better was East being on the winning side.

The upside is that East secured its playoff spot a couple weeks ago and the only thing on the line was homefield in the first round. A potential rematch looms depending on the final standings. I'm thinking East will probably end up visiting Robert C. Byrd for the first round. I can't say I'm overly excited about that game but any game is better than none. The final rankings will be out on Sunday and we'll know for sure.

What matters most is that the Bees are finally returning to the State playoffs following a 30-year absence. And, quite honestly, I think they can advance regardless of the opponent. If they are playing well, they can definitely compete with RCB, West Fairmont, Morgantown or whoever else they might be thrown up against next week. I'm looking forward to it. I hope everyone else is too.

No comments: