Wednesday, November 08, 2006

I'm Feeling A Little Sick

I can't say I'm shocked...because I'm not. I did think the GOP would hold the Senate and it's looking increasingly likely that they lost it. I'm not sure what to say. I know the thought of Speaker Pelosi sends me "running and screaming" just as Davis said. But, it's not going to be a thought anymore...it's going to be reality. And that's pretty darn scary.

Do I think anything will really change? Not really. Pelosi said she's not interested in investigations and impeaching the President. She might be telling the truth. But I don't think she can stop her constituents though. And I'm not saying that investigations are a bad thing...don't get me wrong. But I don't like the idea of tying the country's hands in a time of war and with world events the way they are.

Maybe Democrats will see that and really focus on securing our country first and getting even second. I don't think so...but I can hope. As for Republicans, well, they screwed their base. Somewhere between 1994 and 2004, Republicans became wishy-washy and more interested in appeasing moderates than trying to lead a movement. Conservatism is alive and well...and still making a major difference...unfortunately many Republicans abandoned conservatism to try to make friends with the media and gain favorable exposure. Newt Gingrich led a movement. Nancy Pelosi is leading a dissatisfaction regime. Denny Hastert didn't lead...and that's why they're now the minority.

Anyway, I'll be very anxious to see what the next two years hold. I'm not completely pessimistic on the whole thing...there's always good out there. Republicans generally perform best when their backs are against the wall so don't hand the Democrats the presidency in 2008 yet. For the next couple years there will be a lot of fighting but there's always a chance for progress. I hope both sides can work together and make America safer and better...and try not to raise my taxes (too much).

On a local level, it appears that Don Blankenship's giant push didn't make any difference. Additionally, Raese and Mollohan won easily. The only shock to me was that Cody Starcher was ousted from the Marion County Commission thanks to some real shots by the Times-WV. But, that's about it...

No comments: