Friday, November 24, 2006

Don't Be Surprised...

LSU defeated Arkansas but Arkansas will still go to the SEC Championship Game where they will likely lose to Florida. First, let me say this before I continue: If Arkansas defeats Florida, Arkansas and Florida will go to BCS games and WVU will go to the Gator Bowl. Now, back to what I was saying...LSU finishes the year at 10-2 and is currently ranked behind West Virginia in the BCS ranking. But there is going to be a major, major media push and push by the SEC to take the 10-2 LSU who didn't win their division in the SEC over an 11-1 West Virginia (assuming WVU wins out). It is unacceptable to the football powers that the Big East have two BCS bids and the SEC only have one.

LSU lost two games this year...once to Auburn 7-3 and to Florida 23-10. I will admit those are good losses...but there's two of them. WVU has one loss to Louisville 44-34 thanks to a bum wrist and 5 blackout minutes at Papa Johns. So, I don't see the quality losses as a good argument. The real question to me is how you can take LSU, ranked below WVU in every poll, over West Virginia. West Virginia could be ranked as high as #5 in the BCS rank and that should be worth something. If you are going to completely ignore the BCS rank, then get rid of the whole system and get the playoff going now. But I'm warning you now that there is going to be a lot of crying on behalf of the SEC on behalf of LSU and expect Lee, Kirk and the crew at ESPN to also take up LSU's cause even though they are "un-biased."

Other quick points:

  • Happy that Texas A&M beat Texas. That eliminates the possibility of the Big 12 taking up two BCS slots. The Aggies should be ashamed of the cheapshots they took at Colt McCoy though.
  • WVU completely dominated Western Michigan in the first half. I mean, there's beating a team and then there's what West Virginia did. I was impressed...it's Western Michigan but a win remains a win. If we could win that Old Spice Tourney, that would set a really good tone for the year.
  • Nobody wants the Miami job. Schiano would be a fool to take it. As would anyone else. Sure, it will return to a major winning program but who wants to inherit that mess. I honestly think Coker could have turned it around next year...but a new coach is going to have his hands full with that group of thugs.
  • I hate to root for a Pete Carroll team but Jabba the Weis is even worse. I'm hoping USC lays them out...and put a good shot on Brady Quinn for me.
  • Watching a couple games today, I've already heard people begin jockeying in the Heisman race for next year. Are you kidding me? It's getting ridiculous.

I think that's all for right now. Big game tomorrow for WVU. I don't see any reason West Virginia can't run all over the Bulls. I like WVU 42-17.

No comments: