Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Wow...I was impressed by Women's Basketball

Man, I only watched the last 10 minutes and overtime of the NCAA Women's Championship Game last night but I must admit that I was pretty impressed. Those girls played TOUGH basketball...they were pounding on each other...shoving, pulling, throwing down...whatever it took to establish position and the refs were calling nothing. I saw an arm drag that would have taken most people out for good and the girl came back in...it was a heckuva game.

Clutch 3-pointer takes the game into overtime...awesome. Big shots...good free throws. It was just exciting...not the blowout like we saw in the men's game. And that's probably the main difference...overtime versus a 16-point blowout. Which is better? I'm not saying I'm going to follow the girls' game more closely or anything...but for one night, they really impressed me. I wish they would have their tournament in April with the championship in May because, after last night, I probably would have watched more of theirs if they didn't go against the men's NCAA and NIT.

Really...what sense does that make? If the women's game is ever going to establish itself, they need to come up with their own time to play and not during March Madness. I believe they could establish an audience. But, as long as they compete against the big boys, they will remain a side note. The other great thing about last night's game...Duke lost.

Since college basketball is now completely done, I will write a final review tomorrow (maybe). Oh, and I was wrong earlier about Western Washington...apparently, it is Eastern Washington that we will be playing in football this year instead of Buffalo. My bad...my apologies. But still, I-AA Eastern Washington? From the Big Sky Conference? Give me a break...

No comments: