Thursday, May 03, 2007

Follow up on Environmentalism

After starting that article yesterday I was thinking I could probably expand it into a 7-part mini-series. But I didn't want to do that. I don't have the energy to write about global warming and environmentalism for that long. I just wanted to compress it into a nice little package.

Personally, I thought the Mars argument was decent. From the National Geographic: In 2005 data from NASA's Mars Global Surveyor and Odyssey missions revealed that the carbon dioxide "ice caps" near Mars's south pole had been diminishing for three summers in a row. Habibullo Abdussamatov, head of space research at St. Petersburg's Pulkovo Astronomical Observatory in Russia, says the Mars data is evidence that the current global warming on Earth is being caused by changes in the sun. "The long-term increase in solar irradiance is heating both Earth and Mars," he said.

Is it possible that the giant ball of gas that heats this planet is responsible for the heating of the planet? I think so -- I mean, it's a giant ball of super-heated gas.

Second, there is an agenda out there that makes it sound as though man-made global warming is a fact and is science. There is no conclusive evidence that global warming is man-made. Is it not possible that the planet is going through natural weather patterns? To attribute every change in climate to Man is ignoring history. There was a "Little Ice Age" ending as recently as the 17th to 19th century. Weather patterns change without the assistance of man. It has happened many times throughout the history of this planet...before Man even existed.

With that said...I appreciate Mr. Davis' efforts to "make the earth much happier." I encourage you to ride a bike...or walk and save gas. Mostly for selfish reasons though...to try to save some gas for me and maybe lower the cost.

But seriously, I don't mock anyone's efforts to recycle or drive a fuel efficient car. Personally, I think Sheryl Crow was joking about the toilet paper...I hope. I encourage people to be conservationists and care about the environment. What I don't encourage is the apocalyptic view that is shoved down our throats by the wacko-environmentalists. I don't encourage people to blindly follow Al Gore and live in the woods while he flies over the world and uses many times the energy of the average Man. I like the environment. I like clean air. I don't want another Love Canal or Bhopal disaster. But I also don't want the government dictating how much toilet paper I use...got it?

Lastly, as for Mr. Gore, I congratulate Al. Shoot...if he can afford to travel the world and use the energy he does, more power to him. He has found a way to live a good life...and that's what capitalism is all about. But for him to live that good life and yet expect everyone else to sacrifice is just crazy. Gore is the modern day Jim Bakker...do as I say, not as I do. And, for as long as he can get away with it...have fun. But eventually his sheep will stop following...at least he has a nice, big house to retire to.

No comments: