Wednesday, March 14, 2007

There's Losing and Then There's...

There's losing and then there's what Huntington did to West Fairmont Wednesday night at the boy's basketball tournament. The Highlanders beat Fairmont Senior by a score of 103-39. 103-39?!? Geesh. From what I read, the Highlanders were kind enough to finally sit Mayo and Patterson in the 4th quarter. They only led 82-25 after the third.

I'm glad to see that the Huntington coach didn't have any moral dilemmas in playing Mayo. Ya know, he could have benched him for the game (like I said the other day) and made it look like he cared that Mayo got busted for possession. But, nah, who cares? Mayo is the draw of the state tournament...why would anyone ever consider benching him? Maybe if he actually killed someone...and there was no indisputable evidence. I think it's pretty sad really...college coaches would not play a guy who was busted for marijuana possession (or they would at least make it look like they care)...but, if it's high school and you're the star player, it doesn't matter.

Anyway, I'll get off my pedestal now. Obviously, Huntington was stacked and should easily win the state tournament. I'm just not real sure at what cost. But, sports is money...and Huntington High is raking it in off of Mayo's name. And it's pretty sad.

No comments: