Tuesday, March 20, 2007

America's Idealized, Less-Than-Real Black Man

David Ehrenstein of the LA Times wrote an article that was published Monday entitled: Obama the 'Magic Negro'. The point of Ehrenstein's article is that so many support Obama because they are attempting to atone for the guilt they feel for the slavery days and that Obama's lack of substance makes him the perfect candidate for whites to support. I'll let you read the article...I don't necessarily agree with it. Most politicians don't have substance...Hilary has no substance. Tell me where she stands on an issue. And I mean consistently...not just today. Obama is no different...and I think Ehrenstein's article is a real insult to him and those who support his candidacy.

Anyway, Mountaineer women blew a big lead last night to lose to LSU in the NCAA tournament. Mountaineer men host NC State tonight at the Coliseum. Should be a good game.

Tomorrow I will be traveling to Martinsburg and I will be in Wheeling on Thursday...just so you know. And, I think that's about it.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure what he's trying to say - magical because he quit smoking and paid some parking tickets? Does this guy know anything about politicians? Of course he's cleaned himself up, as anybody in his shoes would do before trying to run for president.

I don't think his allure comes from being a black man, it comes from being charismatic, young, and agreeable-looking. If people vote for him on a superficial basis, I doubt it will be because they are attempting to atone for something - but instead because he is a younger, fresher choice than a Guiliani, Clinton, or McCain.

jedijawa said...

I think that this does a real disservice to the political process by trying to define Obama as a token rather than as a serious contender who has charisma and something to say worth hearing.

I'm not a sociologist but I don't think that white people are going to vote for Obama because he gives them the perfect opportunity to assuage 200 years of social guilt that they have been carrying around. They're going to vote for him because they like him or they're not going to vote for him because either they don't like him or they like someone else better.

Just because you do or don't vote for Obama doesn't mean that you are or aren't a racist and I'm already getting tired of hearing such a big deal made out of his race since I don't really see that he is trying to trade on it himself.

Anonymous said...

Gulliani all the way....we need the Italian mob in the presidency

jedijawa said...

Hey, if you're a Gulliani guy then stop over at WV Bloggers and post a comment about your thoughts on the man. I've been trying to get someone to talk about McCain and Gulliani but everyone wants to talk about Clinton and Obama instead. They're all interesting characters in my book.