Thursday, March 23, 2006

Live WVU Game...

11:02 p.m.
Okay...I think I'm done with this experiment. I've enjoyed doing it but it's after 11:00 and I'm getting tired and I think I'm going to lay down to watch the rest of the game. I think the Mounties can stage a comeback...they just need to really get things cooking. I'll wrap up tomorrow at some point depending on the game. In the meantime, Let's Go Mountaineers.

10:51 p.m.
Just found this...it's awesome: http://www.newsobserver.com/content/multimedia/sports/coachkommercial/

10:45 p.m.
Not good. WVU down by 12 at the break is not what you want to see. WVU needed to win the turnover battle but didn't. They needed to keep the rebounding close but didn't. They needed to find ways to get easy shots but didn't. Only 1 field goal inside the 3-point line. Only 2 free throws. This isn't a winning formula. Pittnogle needs to step up and play defense and Gansey needs to make a miracle...

I'll try not to fall asleep at halftime. And what the heck is going on with UCLA? If Gonzaga does win, it will not be because of Morrison but rather his teammates who have really stepped it up.

10:42 p.m.
10 point UT lead. Put Collins on the bench for horrendous dribbling and questionable defense. And Herber just got rejected big time and Texas is moving the ball again. Folks, my optimism is waning. WVU is not a big comeback team. Yes, they can hit 3's to comeback but they've been hot and cold tonight. Oh, and tell Pittsnogle to blockout. UT by 12 and another WVU turnover.

10:38 p.m.
Well, WVU tried to make a run but Texas put a stop to that and Gansey was shaken up on the last play. Now I have to see the most annoying Applebee's commercial ever. I can't believe the amount of 3's WVU is taking. And they are being outrebounded by 7 or more already and they have committed only 2 less turnovers. The stats aren't great but we're still only down by 8. But, I'm not liking this way of playing...

10:30 p.m.
Sloppy play. That's all I can say. Herber with a bad 3-point shot. Collins with 2 pump fakes on a guy twice his size. A errant pass to the wrong team. Sloppy play. Refer to my 10:25 pm. post about my fear here. Beilein wisely comes a timeout. This could go south in a hurry. Gonzaga is destroying UCLA? Hmmmm. Oh, UT 21-15.

10:25 p.m.
Hmmm...did we just see Pittsnogle flop? I think Pittsnogle just flopped. Awesome. But, what's not awesome is the fact we gave up that alley-oop. Can't let them do that...down by 4 now. WVU needs to find a way to get some better looks on offense. I really could see us going into a drought similar to the Northwestern St. game. They need to find better shots...I'm back to hating the 3's.
10:22 p.m.
Disregard what I said about the 3-pointers. Hey, if they're all going to go down, let's shoot em. Find a way to get Beilein the ball. Oh, and rebound the ball please without holding Buckman. Tied at 15. I still haven't eaten...going to try to get back to that. Oh, UT 17- WVU 15 now.

10:16 p.m.
Another Texas turnover and another TV timeout. UT still leads 10-9 and I'm done updating for 10 minutes or so because I have a steak hoagie coming out the oven. I haven't had dinner yet. So far, WVU looks pretty good...I wish they could find some cuts though. Chucking from 3 isn't going to win this game...we have to find some made layups.

10:14 p.m.
Hey, the announcer's got in the Herber genius line. Awesome. Texas has committed their 4th turnover of the game. I think WVU needs to attack the basket a little to open up the outside. WVU is getting rebounds on the defensive side of the ball. Texas regains the lead 10-9 on a botched defense assignment. Herber airs a 3.

10:12 p.m.
The announcers so far have been somewhat bearable. That's a shock. And the refs haven't messed anything up yet. The sky is falling somewhere. I can't believe that over half of WVU's shots have come from 3-point land. That's crazy. Beilein's in off the bench...so all five seniors are playing. Gansey missed a 3. 9-8 WVU.

10:07 p.m.
Another Texas turnover. WVU must find a way to cause turnovers. Gansey just nailed a 3 to tie it at 6-6. Can they get hot and start nailing some shots? Another turnover for Texas. Probably should have been a foul on WVU for a shove. Pittsnogle for 3...9-6 WVU. Hmmm...could get interesting. Foul on Pittsnogle and we get a TV timeout. I'm updating more than I wanted to. Stupid commercials...

10:05 p.m.
Too many 3 attempts. I know you can't matchup and post inside against them but you need to find some way to get some better looks inside the arch. How many layups will WVU miss tonight? How long before we hear about Herber's 4.0 GPA and Pittsnogle's spawn? Score now 6-3 thanks to a Pittsnogle 3-pointer.

10:03 p.m.
Well, the game has tipped...isn't that exciting? Texas won the tip...shocking. This isn't going to be like a play-by-play or anything...I'll update at around the 10 minute mark in the half or something. WVU must find a way to rebound the ball to be successful...they don't need to outrebound Texas but it needs to be closer than the 21 rebound deficit they had against UT last time. A 10 rebound difference would be good.

I can't believe there are so many empty seats. Even if I were a Duke fan, I'd stay around for the second game. The tickets are $130 each.

West Virginia will need to find a way to stop Texas' inside game and Pittsnogle needs to definitely find his stroke early. 2-0 Texas now. UT just committed a turnover...turnovers will be huge in this game. Back for more later.

9:51 p.m.
This is from deadspin.com:
Most WNBA Teams Would Outrebound West Virginia. The Mountaineers rank 326th out of 327 Division-I teams in rebounding. It’s true that the West Virginia’s system isn’t designed to snag a lot of rebounds, but still, it would be nice if Kevin Pittsnogle would stop impregnating his wife for long enough to box someone out every now and then. The Mountaineers make up for it, though, by being second in the nation in fewest turnovers.

That's funny stuff there.

9:45 p.m.
Memphis destroyed poor Bradley. Bradley has to be happy to have made it to the Sweet 16 though. But they were clearly overclassed by Memphis. But Memphis won't stand a chance against UCLA (who will beat Gonzaga).

I said I felt sorry for Redick earlier. I kinda do. Now, I'm not a fan at all. He plays for Duke and I will never root for Duke. But, he was a heck of a player and, through a lot of games, he single-handedly led them to victory. I still don't like him but I do respect him and the work he has done and you know as well as I that he put everything he had into playing for Duke. But, I'm still glad they lost.

Of course, Redick won't be the only senior playing in his final game tonight. There's that potential that we could see Pittsnogle, Gansey, Herber, Collins and Beilein in their final game in the blue and gold. Think of how bad they will feel if that's the case and how bad we'll feel too...that's why I kinda feel sorry for Redick. But, I still believe the Mountaineers will advance...oh please, let them advance.

Another observation...Jim Burr reffed the Duke/LSU game. Does that mean he'll ref the WVU game? Oh please, no Burr. NO BURR!!!


9:30 p.m.
Duke has lost to LSU. Redick cried leaving the court. I almost felt bad for him...seriously. I'll talk about why tomorrow. Anyway, the bracket opens up now. LSU and Baby Davis are beatable...the winner of the Texas/WVU game definitely has a good chance for the Final Four. Biggest shock of the game: Sheldon Williams didn't eat anyone. Second biggest shock: Jim Burr didn't screw it up.

So, 1/2 hour now before WVU tips against Texas in a "must-see" showdown. Behind Duke/LSU, it should be the matchup of the night. I really believe WVU can pull the upset but they need to play flawless ball. And they need to shoot like they used to...

I'll update more around tipoff if I haven't fallen asleep by then...

No comments: