Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Computer Issues

Well, we'll continue on with computer problems here at my office...Habib is on assignment and won't be back before April. I'm heartbroken...but here goes:

I got a call the other day from a gentleman in accounts receivable. He told me that one of his co-workers was having some lockup issues with her computer. That was ok...until he continued by telling me her monitor was smaller than his and that might be causing the problem and he requested a larger monitor for her. I didn't laugh...I took the request seriously. Unfortunately, we were out of larger monitors. About an hour later, she called and said she was having problems and I went down to see her. I immediately recognized the problem as a harddrive dying...and, within an hour, the drive grinded to a halt. If only I had gotten her a new monitor sooner...

A month into working here, I received a call from a user who said she had put a CD in her computer and it wouldn't play and she couldn't get it out. Well, at that time we were using mostly clone machines that didn't contain CD-ROMs unless they were installed post-production. So, I asked her how she inserted the CD. "Well," she started, "I placed it in the CD slot in the front of my computer. Now I hit the button to eject and nothing happens." Needless to say, she placed the CD in the 5.25" floppy drive. This has happened a couple times...I have a special CD hook that will remove the CDs...but they never work the same again...

We recently had to change our paging system here because people keep wanting to play songs over the intercom system. Most recently, we had the battle of fight songs leading into the BCS series...we heard the Notre Dame fight song, WVU fight song and the Georgia fight song. After the Georgia fight song, we had to change the intercom so only 10 seconds of paging can occur. What a shame.

Alright, that's about enough today...I'm sure there's more, I just can't remember.

No comments: