Sunday, March 12, 2006

Bracketology Pt. 1, WVU...and other stuff

Well, what do I think of the brackets? Hmmm...where to start? It's going to take all week to get all this in...I'll start slowly. First, I think Cincinatti getting snubbed was a mistake. I think they had the resume to get into the dance and I'm surprised the selection committee would put an Air Force in and leave the Bearcats out. I guarantee they were left out because 8 other Big East teams were already in. The committee didn't want 9 teams in from a single conference...8 was already a record. But, Cincinatti was robbed.

West Virginia will draw Southern Illinios in the first round. Scary game. The Sulukis posted a 22-10 record in the much-hyped Missouri Valley Conference. More information on the Suluki players can be found at MSNSportsnet.com or somewhere else...I'm not going to go into the matchups and everything because everyone else is and I don't see any reason to repeat their work.

West Virginia's chances could rest solely on the ability of Mike Gansey to get back on track. I've heard some rumors about his ailments...but the official story is an abdominal strain. He has really looked worn out the past couple weeks and his play has been sub-par. If he and Pittsnogle can't get back on the same page, the Mountaineers could find an early exit from the NCAA's this year. I would be really upset if that happened but I refer to an earlier article about what a great team this has been. I hope they can go deep...I think, at the end of the game, WVU will find a way to move past Southern Illinois and get a chance to play Iowa in the 2nd round. The play of Herber and Collins will be instrumental in this first round game.

I don't see any upsets coming for the #1 seeds in the first round...each should move on without problem. All four #2 seeds will advance as well but I disagree with seeding Tennessee as a 2. I thought Gonzaga, despite the close games, was more deserving of a #2 seed. Speaking of Gonzaga, they could have some trouble with Xavier but I would be real surprised if any of the 3 seed fell. So, to recap, I have every 1, 2 and 3 seed advancing to the 2nd round. I'll continue predicitons tomorrow.

As for other complaints to the committee, I think George Washington was seeded to low at an 8, especially when you consider they will have to play Duke in the second round should they get there. I think this shows a complete lack of respect for the A-10 given the great season that GW had (26-2 overall, 16-0 in conference play; excluding tournament). I thought Pittsburgh was seeded too low following their late run and 24-7 overall record (RPI: 8). I also thought Boston College might put up a run for a 3-seed but I can't argue too much with a 4. UNC could have been a 2 if they had beaten BC. UNC second round against Michigan State could be an awesome game...Hansbrough v. Davis. I'll make predictions for lower seeds starting tomorrow...

Aside from basketball, I watched a couple games of the World Baseball Classic last night. The United States defeated Japan 4-3 after a controversial base tag call and a foot pulled off the bag. It was a great game...I was surprised. Then, I saw Puerto Rico and Dominican Republic play some. The crowd was so into it...it was pretty awesome. I think the WBC is far more important to other countries than it is to the United States...we kinda yawned at the idea. They are genuinely invigorated by it. I'm not sure anyone in the US was paying attention until Canada pulled the upset against us and nearly knocked us out of it completely. I can't wait to watch more...I'm exicted by it now. Hope to see the US play Cuba and/or the Dominican Republic at some point.

The one thing that struck me during the Dom/Pur game was that Dominican pitcher Bartolo Colon is huge. I mean this guy looks like he should be playing on the offensive line somewhere. He is a big boy. Oh, and for the A-Rod haters out there, he got the game winning hit for the United States. Sorry.

I'm now getting ready to watch the finale of the Flavor of Love on VH1 in which Flavor Flav chooses his woman. If you haven't seen this show, you need to watch it...it's hilarious. I don't know how VH1 signed Flavor to all this garbage, but he's pure gold...including his teeth.

No comments: