Saturday, March 11, 2006

Championship Week Disappointments Me (Esp. the Big East Tourney)

I've spent my entire Saturday afternoon and evening watching basketball. And just about every game has gone the exact opposite of how I wanted them to go. Please, Duke lose to Wake Forest. Duke beat Wake Forest. Please, UNC beat Boston College. The Eagles beat the 'Heels. I wanted St. Joes to win...nope. I wanted Vermont to get back to the NCAA this year. Nope. I wanted McCain to be man enough to see the results at the Southern Republican Leadership Conference...and, again, I was disappointed.

And, most of all, I wanted Syracuse to lose. Not necessarily so Pitt would win...but, I just wanted the Orange to go down. I'm tired of them...but, alas, it wasn't meant to be.

Some observations from the Big East Championship Game:

  • I think Jim Boeheim applies a little makeup for the game...I can't say for sure but it sure looks like he's been powered. "I'm ready for my closeup Mr. DeMille"
  • With 25 seconds left, Syracuse forced a turnover by committing an obvious foul that really ended the game. Officials for the game: Tim Higgins and JIM BURR!!!
  • When Devendorf fouled a Pittsburg player with 19.1 seconds left, Boeheim looked a little like Satan staring him down.
  • McNamara pouted when he didn't get to shoot free throws with 17.4 seconds left. If you didn't know, the Big East tournament is all about Gerry McNamara.
  • Devondorf loves to pound his chest. He's down brother.
  • The Krauser/Larry Bird comparison was, ummmm, weird.
  • Syracuse's run to the Big East championship this year was a "miracle" according to Dan Shulman.
  • Devendorf's small tantrum where it appeared that he was cussing the crowd following the game was pretty funny. We have 3 more years of this punk.
  • Gerry McNamara cried after every game in the tournament. I did too.
  • Syracuse is the repeat Big East champion. I really hope they are a quick out in the NCAA tournament because I can't stand anymore Boeheim or McNamara or Devendorf this year.

And, a few other things:

  • I'm predicting that WVU will be a #6 seed in the NCAA tournament. Oh boy...
  • Albany will be making their first ever appearance in the NCAA tournament after beating Vermont.
  • UCLA won their first Pac-10 Tourney since 1987. Hard to believe it has been that long.
  • Other automatics: Hampton, Kent State, Memphis
  • Sorry Seton Hall...you'll be in the NIT. At least that's my prediction. No way the Big East gets 9 teams in the NCAA. Someone has to be left out and I think they are most like. Big sad face for the Pirates :-(
  • J.J. Redick fell during the Duke/Wake game and the world came to a stop until he ran back on the court.
  • I felt bad for St. Joseph's, who lost to Xavier. I thought the officiating during that game was pretty poor too.
  • I don't want to play Wisconsin-Milwaukee in the first round of the NCAA tournament. Please!
  • Hey, at least Kentucky lost...
  • And, if you want to see Allan Ray's eye fall out, go here. But, I warn you, it is kinda disturbing. I'm glad he's going to be alright.

And, I think that's about it for the night.

No comments: