Monday, January 09, 2006

Sports Weekend

Well, let's start out with the Mountaineers and their brilliant win over #3 Villanova. There was a time in Mountaineers basketball when a victory over the #3 rated team in the nation would prompt riots on the street...it would be unheard of at WVU. But with Beilein as coach and following the Elite Eight run last year, it's just another great victory...the second over a Top-10 team this year. On the road. That's pretty amazing...I am impressed. I was really afraid this team over-achieved last year and would never live up to expectations this year...but, thankfully, I was wrong. Andy Katz, who is quickly becoming a favorite of mine over at ESPN.com, thinks the Mountaineers offense is poetry in motion. And I'm not sure that I would disagree. Georgetown at home next...wear Gold.

The Steelers disposed of the Bungles...errr, Bengals to advance in the playoffs. The real test is next Sunday when they travel to the Colts...where they were convincingly defeated last time they played there. I guess the real story in that game though is the injury to Carson Palmer. I don't think the play was intentional...Palmer should be back for training camp which is good news for the 3 Bengals fans out there.

Lastly, Marcus Vick was dismissed by Virginia Tech. Something tells me this wasn't the decision of Frank Beamer but rather the decision of the administration trying to save face. Most schools would have released Vick before now for his transgressions. Or, at least would have suspended him following the driving on a suspended...for marijuana possession. Virginia Tech is a bunch of thugs...Beamer allows that. I guess the administration has had about enough of it.

No comments: