Tuesday, September 04, 2007

Moving an Office

Moving an office is no fun. Trust me. We spend Thursday and Friday moving a 45-person office about two miles...from an old 2-floor building with no elevator to a brand new 3 story building with an elevator. We are, of course, on the 3rd floor.

Moving doesn't sound too bad until you start thinking about the logistics. 45 computers, 45 monitors, 45 desks, shelves, files, printers, copiers, tables, chairs, phones, etc. It's a major, major process. Surprisingly, we knocked it out in two days...2:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. on day one and 8:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. on day two. It was pretty remarkable really.

For the most part, things went pretty smoothly. I had one very irritating exchange with a lady we'll call Bellona...who is Pablo's secretary. We're moving computers on Friday morning and the network is up and running so people can log in once their computers are setup and connected...so, I'm working on this and she stops me:

Bellona: "You can hook up Pablo...his desk is here."
Me: "Speaking of Pablo, I haven't seen him here yet to help with the move. He's on the only person I haven't seen the entire move."
Bellona: "Well, Pablo is on vacation."
Me: "How convenient is that?"
Bellona: "Well, you can hook up his computer."
Me: "There are people here waiting for their computer who have helped. Pablo isn't here...he's not a priority. I'll get to it before I leave."
Bellona: "..."

I mean, there are people working in the office who might want to check their e-mail and she's fighting to get Pablo setup and he's not even in the office. That, to me, is absolutely asinine. But, that's me.

Anyway, the move was done by 4:00 p.m. on Friday and I was able to get back in town in time to see East Fairmont lose to University by 1-point. Man, glad I didn't miss that...

No comments: