Sunday, June 03, 2007

Fairmont - Your Vacation Destination

Well, it's time for part five of the many part mini-series of why Fairmont should be your vacation destination this summer. First, let me reiterate that I have researched the story that accompanies each attraction as best I could...some of my facts might be off a little.


Last week we covered the great festival and entertainment that Fairmont can bring you for a weekend. What about the rest of the time? Well, let me introduce you to Downtown Fairmont.


A few years ago, Fairmont built a memorial park near the post office. On any given weekend, this part can become a smorgasboard of crafts stands, fruit stands and...well, it's most crafts and fruits. But, it's a bustling little area for people to sell their goods.



In the past, the major complaint about Downtown Fairmont was the lack of parking. Well, you can't complain anymore because Fairmont built a major parking garage near the post office. So, now you can actually park a car downtown to go to the many shops and stores located downtown. Ummm...I think there's still a bakery and I saw two places to eat I think. Maybe a couple crafts stores...a bank, a post office, a courthouse and a few law offices. Oh, and a new computer shop.



And while you're downtown, be sure to stop at the Fairmont Theatre where 3 great movies are always playing. I couldn't find a listing for what is playing but I'm sure it's great. Probably "Soylent Green," "Gigli" and "Showgirls." A good cross-section...and worth whatever the cost to enter the historic theatre would be. Be sure to call ahead though...because I'm not even sure the theatre is really open.



If you think it's too difficult to get downtown, don't worry...the government is spending a ton of money to build a connector from I-79 to Yann's Dogs...which is right down the hill from Downtown. (I guess that connector is really to downtown...)


Anyway, a bustling downtown is yet another reason to make Fairmont your vacation destination this summer. Join us for a crafts show and stay for the parking and movie. It's worth it...you know you want to. Come on!

3 comments:

Rebecca said...

I got to enjoy several of these Fairmont highlights while chaperoning a field trip.

I'm still baffled why the city built that parking garage. I had to park in it to chaperone the "Elks Lodge" portion of the field trip. It was the middle of a business day....there were 5 other cars in the while thing. At least the parking was cheap...

We also had bag lunches to eat at Veteran's Plaza. Two words....NO SHADE. None. It was a bunch of fun to eat lunch there in the 90 degree weather. Also, 6th graders (not my kid!) are infinitely amused by pointing out to their peers where the soldiers "balls" are in the memorial statue from your photo. I didn't find it that amusing.

STEELE said...

now michael.....i believe your leaving out the plans for THE largest water park in WV.

Anonymous said...

New sign after Goshen Road exit:

3 mi. Prickett's Fort/East Fairmont
4.5 mi. Downtown Fairmont
5.5 mi. Alan Mollohan / Yann's Hot Dogs Memorial Blvd.

NEXT HOT DOG EXIT - 55 MILES