Friday, June 22, 2007

Rules of Etiquette

I had to attend a conference today in Morgantown for work that included several breakout sessions. One of the meetings I had to sit through was a meeting on Business Etiquette. I thought it sounded somewhat interesting...and I thought I might just learn something. Honestly, I didn't. Etiquette is simply about common sense...it's just that a lot of people don't have common sense and, therefore, they have to pay some person to come in and teach them business etiquette.

For those of you who want some tips, here ya go:
  • Be punctual. If you're going to be late, alert someone.
  • Dress for the occasion. If unsure, err on the conservative side.
  • Wait for the host or hostess to be seated first. It's still considered polite to wait until ladies are seated as well.
  • Unfold napkin after host/hostess. If you leave the table, napkins go on chair. When finished with meal, napkins go to the left of the plate.
  • Notice the location of each utensil and remember the first one used is farthest from the serving plate – eating is done from the outside in.
  • Do wait until all of the guests at your table have been served before beginning to eat.
  • Do not automatically salt and pepper your food. Take a small taste and season to where you feel it is appropriate.

Obviously there are approximately 8 billion etiquette rules. But, like I said, most of them are common sense. Don't draw attention to yourself is the goal. Look and act the part. Be courteous and attentive. Actually, the only rule of etiquette is "Don't be Stupid."

1 comment:

Rebecca said...

I think I knew all of those...but if I'd have known that YOU knew, I would have stood up the whole time you were here....just to see if you'd stand the whole time too!