Saturday, June 09, 2007

True Geniuses

It's not often that I see a sight like what I saw yesterday in Fairmont. Around 4:00 p.m., a series of thunderstorms passed through North-Central West Virginia. These storms have been forecast all week to the best of my knowledge. Even at worst, storm warnings went out across the region midday on Friday.

Well, apparently Gabriel Brothers had scheduled an outdoor sale for Friday...and no thunderstorms were going to prevent them from having that outdoors sale:

As you can see, instead of moving the racks of clothes back inside the store once the rains began, Gabriel Brothers chose to throw blue tarps over the clothing. My question is: who would remain outside to shop while the storm was brewing? And, who was watching those people shop if they did so? Did an employee stay outside with the clothes?

The winds were pretty bad...and you can see the Gabriel Brothers' employees decided to be smart and put shopping carts on the tarp to hold it in place. Personally, I think it would have taken longer to put the tarp on the clothes and pick up all those shopping carts and place them on the racks then it would have taken to actually move the clothes back in the store. Am I wrong? I must be stupid...that's why I can't work at Gabriel Brothers.

In other news, the 7-11 down in Rivesville has come up with an excellent marketing stategy:


After going inside and seeing the clerk, I decided not to buy a 44 ounce fountain drink and simply purchased a bag of Ruffles instead.

No comments: