Monday, June 11, 2007

Memory Almost Full

I don't make a whole lot of musical recommendations because it leads to a lot of arguments...but I must say that I purchased Paul McCartney's new CD, Memory Almost Full, on Saturday and have thoroughly enjoyed it. If you enjoy Paul's work, I would highly recommend giving it a listen.

The first time through, I wasn't completely sold on some of the songs but by the second listen, I was hooked. "Let's Dance Tonight" is bouncy and an awesome start to the CD. Definitely a hook. "Ever Present Past" and "See Your Sunshine" were nice too...I liked both tunes. I did not enjoy "Only Mama Knows." It had a promising start but I just don't enjoy it very much.

"You Tell Me" is a beautiful ballad...probably should have been written in a lower key for McCartney. "Mr. Bellamy" might be my favorite song...an "Eleanor Rigby" story of a man who sounds like he has given up...sounds like a jumper. The juxtaposition of Bellamy versus the rescue team is pretty awesome.

"Gratitude" is very nice but I think "Vintage Clothes" is a bit cheesy but a very nice melody. "That Was Me" is good and flows really nicely into "Feet In The Clouds." I can't get into "House of Wax" but it's nice. "End of the End" is magnificient. Kinda sad as McCartney talks of his wishes upon his death. Lyrics say he wants "songs that were sung/to be hung out like blankets/that lovers have played on/and laid on while listening to songs that were sung," which will likely occur. "Nod Your Head" is an absolute waste in my opinion. After listening through, I felt he should have closed with "Let's Dance Tonight" to contrast the more sullen "End of the End."

But, regardless, it is excellent work by McCartney that I have listened to repeatedly. It is a great CD in my opinion...and I can't say that about too many CDs coming out now.

1 comment:

Chris said...

Cool. I will check that out.

Pseudo-related, when I was in Vegas in April, went and saw the Cirque du Soleil production of "Love" - the Beatles. George Martin (Beatles producer for years) and his son Giles, remixed from original master tapes from Apple Records and Abbey Road Studios, many classics for the show. And it's available as a standard CD, or an audio DVD in 5.1. It is absolutely incredible.

My favorite CD purchased in years. You've never heard the Beatles like that - and they didn't destroy the intent of the writers either.