Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Hitting the Fan

When I wrote the subject "Hitting the Fan," I wasn't sure if I was going to write about Hillary Clinton, inflation or work. After 3 hours today at the office, it's easy to figure out that I'm going to write about work. Because, man, it is definitely hitting the fan here...and it's going to get really, really messy.

At this point in time, it takes me 4-hours to prepare a machine. That is slightly more than the 45 minutes to 1-hour that the vendor had promised. But, we're still working through issues, which makes that 4-hours acceptable. That is until they begin to back away from the project. It is very close to turning into a "us vs. them" type situation as they are now beginning to tell us that work from this point forward is "out of scope". Well, that's not really fair considering the project was a flat fee for certain work that it obviously not done.

Yesterday I spent over 3 hours on conference calls basically discussing grievances and where the project currently stands. That was internal staff only and our consultant who turned us on to the integrators we are using. We were supposed to have a conference call this morning at 10:00 a.m. with the integrators but they chose to delay the call until this afternoon. There is no doubt they are attempting to work out internally what they are going to say on this call. It should definitely be interesting. I just hope it doesn't turn into a gripe and finger pointing session. We are working our best to keep things moving in a positive direction. This afternoon's call will determine where it goes from here...should be pretty amazing to see what transpires.

On another front, my computer died last night. I'm pretty bummed about that. Luckily, I backed it up...a few months ago. Not sure what I lost yet but I know it can't be good. Hard drive clicks for the lose.

I cleaned my desk at work. Big box...sweeping hand. I guess you have to do that at least once a year just to keep things interesting. Everyone always enjoys the desk clearing. I'm just hoping there wasn't anything important that is now lost forever...

And, that's been about it for today so far. Still can't wait for this conference call later today...it should be a real doosie.

No comments: