Sunday, July 08, 2007

Fairmont - Your Vacation Destination

I'm not going to number this as part of the series because it's not necessarily a reason to come to Fairmont but more like something you can listen to while you're visiting Fairmont. I'm a bit of a sucker for nostalgia so I was pretty happy when I heard the call letters WFGM recently. For those who don't remember, WFGM used to be the Great 98 in Fairmont. 97.9 has gone through a few incarnations since then and is now WKKW. WFGM disappeared from the dial and was just a bit of memory...my favorite radio station of yesterday. Think of it as the WVAQ of its time.

Anyway, recently I became aware of a new radio station in the area called SAM (Simply About Music, or something like that). It was 93.1 and played an eclectic mix of music. Sometimes I turned it on and hear something I liked. Sometimes I'd turn it on and immediately change the station. Well, shortly after I found SAM, the format changed to a Classic Top 40 mix. And the call letters were WFGM (Fairmont's Greatest Music).

So, this new station on 93.1 combined a piece of history with some of my favorite music. I can turn it on and hear the Beatles or Eagles...maybe Elton John or Billy Joel. Seals and Croft. Donovan. David Bowie. Earth, Wind and Fire. Bruce Springsteen. Bad Company. Etc., etc.

I like it a lot better than classic rock because I really like all those groups mentioned above. Then, if the music wasn't enough, they brought back the voice of the morning, Kevin Nicholas. Don't get me wrong, I still enjoy Eric McGuire in the morning on my way to work. But it's nice to hear the fimiliar tenor of Kevin Nicholas on the radio doing something besides announcing the traffic patterns on Mountaineer Gameday.

Anyway, what I am getting at is that if you enjoy popular music from the '60s, '70s and '80s, you should probably give WFGM, 93.1 FM, a listen. It's really a very nice station and the music is non-offensive because it's all classic. WVAQ gets boring to me and I can only listen to talk radio for about 2-3 hours a day. WFGM has saved the radio dial for me. It's now officially my favorite station after 10:00 a.m.

So, if you visit Fairmont for your vacation this summer, just turn the dial to 93.1 and enjoy your travels around the Friendly City. You won't regret it.

3 comments:

Rebecca said...

Hmmm, if I didn't know better, I'd wonder who was paying you to plug a certain family of stations...

Chris said...

For the record, I had no involvement in Mike's endorsement.

Anonymous said...

I also love hearing Kevin Nicholas on the radio. He's my brother. :)