Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Al Sharpton

Let me start out by saying I am not much of a Don Imus fan. I watched his show many times several years ago because it was better than Today but I never really like him too much. He's hard to listen to. And he probably stepped over the line with his recent comments about the Rutgers players (even though, when I watched the game, I thought they looked pretty rough. I almost wrote about how rough both teams looked.) I think it was a joke that was offensive. But I don't think Don Imus is a racist. But the man who is leading the crusade against him is...

Al Sharpton is, at best, a man who incites hate against white people and, more particularly, Jewish people. This is hardly a man who can claim the high moral ground when it comes to race relations. Let me point out a couple incidents in Sharpton's past:

1987: Tawana Brawley. Sharpton insisted that a 15-year-old black girl was abducted and raped by a group of white men. He singles out Steve Pagones, a young prosecutor. A grand jury, who thoroughly examines the evidence in the case, determines Brawley made the incident up. Brawley refuses to testify but claims the "defense fund." Pagones sues Sharpton for defamation and eventually wins a $345,000 verdict for defamation. To this day, Sharpton refuses to recant his slander or to apologize for his role in the affair.

1991: A Jewish driver in Brooklyn kills Gavin Cato, a 7-year-old black child, and antisemitic riots erupt. Sharpton races to pour gasoline on the fire. At Gavin's funeral he rails against the Jews for having "the blood of innocent babies" on their hands. He mobilizes hundreds of demonstrators to march through the Jewish neighborhood, chanting, "No justice, no peace." A rabbinical student, Yankel Rosenbaum, is surrounded by a mob shouting "Kill the Jews!" and stabbed to death.

1995: When Freddy's Fashion Mart raises the rent on his subtenant, a black-owned music store Sharpton uses it to incite racial hatred. "We will not stand by and allow them to move this brother so that some white interloper can expand his business." Sharpton's National Action Network sets up picket lines; customers going into Freddy's are spat on and cursed as "traitors" and "Uncle Toms." Some protesters shout, "Burn down the Jew store!" and simulate striking a match. "We're going to see that this cracker suffers," says Sharpton's colleague Morris Powell. On Dec. 8, one of the protesters bursts into Freddy's, shoots four employees point-blank, then sets the store on fire. Seven employees die in the inferno.

Here's another good article to read about Sharpton: Al "anti-Semitic" Sharpton

Al Sharpton is in no position to judge anyone. For Sharpton to be considered a "civil rights leader" is a discredit to the entire civil rights movement. Sharpton is a divider of the worst kind...looking to make race an issue in every argument in hopes of continuing a riff between the sects of the American population. Indict Don Imus as you will...but don't let Al Sharpton be the judge and the jury.

4 comments:

Rebecca said...

Couldn't agree with you more!

I can't wait to hear what you have to say about the NFL suspensions.

Anonymous said...

I think Don Imus was trying to be hip, to be funny using the vernacular of a generation that he misunderstood. His comment was misguided, but I don't think he's a racist. I think I'd like to become famous so I could make an offhand comment and when Al Sharpton came to me asking, "Where is my apology?" I could go further and tell him to drop dead. Al Sharpton has incited riots that have lead to murder, but because he's a minority, the PC media refuses to stand up to him. Its a shame.

Anonymous said...

Mike, sorry to get off subject, but I've always wondered: You've got four white kids for relative privilege. Duke isnt Ivy league but its close. So, I've always wondered, is this the best they could do for a party, skank criminals? You'd think they'd have the means to hire some "dancers" with at least SOME class. I think Nifong ought to have to answer, and I'd feel bad if these kids lives and reputations are hurt, but they have to share some of the blame. Come on guys! Next time you have a party, dont go lookin in the gutters for your entertainment!

Anonymous said...

and to Rebecca, you want to hear about the NFL suspensions? Those clowns had it coming. Its a real shame, too, because, in my opinion, Pac Man Jones was one of the 10 best NFL players in the game, in any position. What an idiot. He bites people! No wonder they call him "Pacman" lol!