Wednesday, September 03, 2008

Palin and the Election

I've said it before and I'll say it again: I just can't get excited for this election. McCain took a risk in picking Alaska governor Sarah Palin as his running mate. It made me yawn. Obama's pick of Joe Biden was even more boring. Even the controversy surrounding Palin and her daughter hardly draws my attention for more than a second. From the election coverage I'm seeing, I might be alone in being bored by the matchup of the elder John McCain against the empty-headed agent of "change," Barack Obama. (By empty-headed, I mean that guy doesn't have any real ideas...he speaks purely in grandiose terms without giving any idea of a real agenda...)

So, McCain picks Palin in an obvious attempt to excite the former Hilary Clinton supporters. Even Hilary herself heaps praise on McCain and Palin for making the move. But the Democrats obviously weren't so happy. First they attack Palin for her 17-year old daughter being pregnant. Lord knows that has never happened in any family before. And now, this morning on the Today Show, they are attacking Palin for being a working mother. Wow. I thought Democrats wanted all mothers to be working? I thought the Democrats stood up for the working mother? Oh, that's right...only if they're Democrat.

Of course, the sword cuts both ways. The far right has long complained about working mothers and teen pregnancy. And now they want to elect a working mother with a pregnant teen. The hipocrisy is deep on all sides here. And here I am, and probably you too, stuck in the middle...not really caring if Palin has a pregnant teenage daughter and understanding that she can work and take care of her children's needs at the same time.

But, it's election season and any reasonable thoughts have to be thrown out the window. A working mother is horrible. A working mother is a model for all women. A pregnant teen is unacceptable. A pregnant teen is someone who needs the support of all those around her. There's no middle ground...it's all or nothing. The election is in November. Good luck.

No comments: