Friday, March 07, 2008

Gridiron Bash

In case you haven't heard, WVU is participating in the Gridiron Bash this spring. The Gridiron Bash is a live concert that will be held the night before the Blue-Gold game at Milan Puskar Stadium. The Bash is really a fan contest and the school that has the largest attendance will win $1 million dollars for their general scholarship fund. They're trying to turn the spring game into a "Midnight Madness" type event. This will also be the first time the Milan Puskar Stadium has ever held a concert.

So, you might be asking yourself, what big name performer is WVU having for this Gridiron Bash? Before I tell you, let me go through some of the other participants: Alabama gets Alan Jackson...sounds about right. Colorado gets the Counting Crows. I would definitely go see that. Arizona State - 3 Doors Down. Kansas State - Goo Goo Dolls. LSU gets Kid Rock (I'll pass) and Rutgers gets Fall Out Boy (ummm...not completely horrible I guess). South Carolina gets the Black Crowes...would go for that. Texas A&M gets ZZ Top...yes, indeed, I would be there.

Yeah...there's some stinkers in there...but I would probably accept any of those acts performing for the first ever concert on Mountaineer Field. Maryland gets Good Charlotte, Utah gets Maroon 5, Penn State gets Fergie. All relatively acceptable, I suppose. Iowa gets Kelly Clarkson and Kentucky gets Wynona and Dierks Bentley. Yeah...ok, I'll accept that.

So, what big act does WVU get to host? How about Dwight "Freakin'" Yoakam. Yes, you heard me correct...Dwight Yoakam. Now, I'm going to say this...he probably isn't the worst act in the list I just presented...but it's still Dwight Yoakam. And, not only is it Dwight Yoakim, but you get to pay $48.50 to see Dwight Yoakam. Is this really the best they could do? Why not get like Brad Paisley? I would consider Brad Paisley...I just don't know about Dwight Yoakam.

Maybe I'm being too hard on Dwight or thinking the other acts are really better when they're not. I mean, I would definitely go see Counting Crows and ZZ Top. Maroon 5 is cool and I could handle Alan Jackson. But, Dwight Yoakam? I liked Streets of Bakersfield...and he's done a lot of covers and has had a lot of hits...but it's still Dwight Yoakam. I just have a feeling the Gridiron Bash is going to be a huge bust at WVU...because, well, it's Dwight "Freakin'" Yoakam and that's really all it is.

2 comments:

Monogram Queen said...

My husband LOVES Dwight Yoakim LOL I'll gladly trade you him for the Black Crowes!

Anonymous said...

you don't know what you're talking about