Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Upgrade Update

Well, for those who are curious, the upgrade at work is progressing on-schedule. We currently have domain controllers distributed to the 6 offices...so AD is available for us to work on. We have located the drivers for all devices for our 8 models of PCs and laptops that are currently out and all our Vista compatible. Unless a major hiccup occurs within the next week or so, we will be rolling out Vista to all user beginning in November.


The integrators are currently working on a Desktop Deployment strategy and packaging our "Core Applications" for distribution. The Document Management System guru is making progress although we are having a difficult time securing a final release date for a beta we are currently running with Office 2007. But, things are moving along in a positive direction. Our biggest DMS issue is whether to consolidate into a single library or continue a distributed approach. It appears a single library will win.


We are increasing bandwidth dramatically to keep up with the new burdens. It appears that is on-schedule and should resolve any issues we are running into with a centralized approach to a majority of our applications.


If I could get out of meetings and conference calls, I think we would be moving along a little better. I have spent two days in "training" on a product that I really don't care about at all. The hardware side is the only thing I needed to know about but had to sit through two days of instruction on it because that's how it was organized. Horrific. Same thing happened last week. I have vendors calling round the clock and they're driving me crazy. Ummm...and the 3 weekly status meetings are beginning to get old.


This is definitely a new experience to have all these schedules and deadlines. Usually we run everything on a small scale...try it out and push it out. Make it work...work out the bugs with users. Now we have test environments and project managers, etc. It's pretty crazy really...I feel like I sepnd as much time explaining my work as I do working. And it's not necessarily a good thing. But that's how it is and I'll continue doing whatever is required to get this thing done. The sooner the better...

No comments: