Thursday, August 16, 2007

Football Season Approaches

Well, must be about that time of year again. Football season is rapidly approaching and I couldn't be happier. First, West Virginia should be stout. If they don't win 10+ games, something bad happened. Really, they should be in the running for another Big East title and a shot at a national championship. Obviously, Louisville and Rutgers will have other ideas. Full breakdown coming next week.

On a more local level, East Fairmont will be looking to backup their first playoff appearance in 30 years with another successful season. Should be an interesting season. First game is next Thursday against Elkins. I can't really say too much until I actually see them play...I am hopeful however.

Steelers will be playing under a new coach. Some reports say Tomlin can right the ship...others are a little more skeptical. I will be anxious to see what Big Ben can do. Obviously, the NFL has been overshadowed by the dog-loving Michael Vick. I am sure Roger Goodell can't wait for actual games that count to distract from Vick's impending plea bargain or trial and jail time. I believe Vick will never play in the NFL again.

In other sporting news, Barry Bonds broke Hank Aaron's record...which sucks. I think Aaron's congratulatory message was forced at best. Aaron was very careful with his words and obviously wasn't overly pleased with Bonds using steroid assistance to break the homerun record. Aaron's didn't even bother to stay up to watch the game...I think that says a lot.

I guess that's about it. Oh, lastly, Elvis died 30 years ago today. For those who don't know, apparently Elvis was pretty popular back in his day. Elvis had a whopping 18 Number One Hits in the '50s and '60s and many remain popular today. He was truly an amazing musical figure...and he might still be alive according to some accounts.

And I think that's about enough for today...

No comments: