Saturday, February 11, 2006

Confusion...

Confusion. That about sums up the opening ceremonies of the Olympic games. I mean, I did not understand hardly anything of what they did for the opening. I saw balloons with faces flying around. People in silver customs with giant white bubbles strapped to their heads. People skating near fake cows while people in the stands banged on cowbells. I saw a man dancing in flesh-colored tights and a mohawk. I heard the announcer talking about the Middle Ages and the Renaissance and the future of Italy and, well, I didn't get it. And then, this weirdo gets done dancing and a Formula One car starts doing donuts on the stage. Huh? There was a lot of fire everywhere...and some of the acrobatics were pretty cool.

Sophia Loren helped carry in the Olympic flag. I didn't even know where she was at...she's like 74 or something. And then things took another odd turn...Yoko Ono? Why in the world would have have Yoko Ono speak at the Olympics. I'm pretty sure she's not Italian. Maybe they thought having Luciano Pavarotti sing would even things out...but there is no forgiveness for putting Yoko Ono anywhere that people have to listen to her. The lighting of the torch was pretty cool...once again, lots of fire. But, still nothing exciting enough to make me feel better about watching this stuff.

The only reason to watch the opening ceremonies is to see the parade of nations and the reaction they get and to see if any country wears anything really strange. I thought the USA received a very nice welcome...a surprisingly nice welcome actually. Maybe everyone just felt sorry for them since they had to wear those ridiculous hats (I mean, did you see those stupid hats?).

I mean, I can't say it was bad...when they had the games in the States, it was still odd. I guess it's a weird ceremony every year. But, I just don't get it. I thought the Rolling Stones were really bad at the Super Bowl...but, after watching the opening ceremonies of the Olympic Games....well, the Rolling Stones were still really bad.

No comments: